Laine didn't seem like the type of woman to just jump into bed with some strange man, and that was becoming clearer and clearer as every idea that popped into my head was immediately shut down by my self doubt.

This dinner was crucial. I needed her to get to know who I was, or at least who she thinks I am. Putting up a front however, wasn't going to win me anything. If she saw through my lies, I'd be damned from the start.

I drop my pen on my desk in frustration. If I tried too hard, I'd seen more desperate than I am. But if I hardly tried at all, it would get me no where. I was truly at a crossroad here. Laine Bennett was without a doubt, one of the most frustrating person I'd ever come in contact with. And I've hardly gotten to know her.

•———•

I arrived to work much earlier than anticipated. I'd spent the night trying my hardest to figure out what to say and do for Laine to spare me a second glance.

I was seated in my car, waiting for her to arrive. I was probably looking like a madman watching everyone walk from the end of the street to the other. I'd made sure to check both directions seeing as I had no idea which route she takes.

Just as I look behind me, I see her walking. I quickly get out of my car and straighten myself before walking towards the door.

She look at me with raised eyebrows, which I return with a smirk.

"Good morning, Miss. Bennett," I greet, making her raise her laugh lightly.

"Little too early, don't you think?" She asks, walking past me and to the doors.

I shrug my shoulders and follow her into my building.

"I think I'm just in time," I reply, winking in her direction as she heads towards the small coffee place I'd put in for my own benefit more than everyone else's.

She stands in line, probably not expecting me to be with her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asks, keeping her face towards the front and only glancing at me from the side.

"I'm simply admiring the artwork past your beautiful face, Miss. Bennett. Although I'm not hating this sight either," I elbow her gently, making her turn to face me.

Her face was a deep shade of red, but it fit her well. Too well. She looked cute.

Her gaze immediately moves away and she steps up to the barista. She orders my usual drink as well as her own. Once the total was said, I quickly hand over my card just as she was about to.

"Seriously man?" she sighs, shoving her card back into her pocket.

I shrug my shoulders as we step aside to where our drinks would be placed on the counter. "What can I say, I'm a fantastic gentleman."

She rolls her eyes and places her small hands into her pockets.

"You look cold," I state, grabbing my drink off the counter as well as her's.

She takes he mug from my hand and rests both her hand on the cold beverage. "As much as I love snow, that shit is cold as fuck," she laughs, blowing into the small hole on the lid before drinking it.

I shrug my shoulders, drinking my own, "Maybe if you didn't walk from the subway you wouldn't be frozen."

We make our way to the elevator as Laine speaks, "I can't do much about that."

An idea comes to mind immediately, but there was no way I could ask in front of all these people. The small elevator was vacant, and I thank my unpunctual employees for the first time as we step inside.