Chapter 1 Part I -- An Early Death (Revised)

"Here we are." Lucy pulled her pink bike to a halt. A shadow loomed over her. She looked up. It belonged to an enormous wine keg, securely chained to a lamp post. Scribbled on the wood surface in green fluorescent ink were the words --The Three Musketeers.

After leaning her bike against the lamp post, Lucy bent over to pat her Labrador's head. Curly white fur flew in the air like pixies, as the three-foot tall canine waved her tail, anticipating. Lucy chuckled at her pet's expression. "Wait for me here, Snowball. I'll buy you your favourite."

Snowball gave a sonorous bark. Saliva drooping down from the side of her mouth.

Lucy smiled reassuringly, pulled a string of long golden lock behind her ear before entering the building. This was her first patron to a pub. Her heart hammered against its ribcage as a DJ tested the woofer's sound. Clasping her ears, Lucy looked around in wonder. Star-shaped down-lights adorned the tall ceiling, twinkling in an alluring cyan hue. A round stage was being positioned in the middle of the pub, right above a pool. The owner had even installed sapphire blue neon lights around it, adding points to the mysterious atmosphere. Though the live band was yet to begin, crowds, young boys and girls alike, had already ringed the stage.

When the clock struck eight, the door burst open. 

In strode a man in his mid-twenties. He had his blond hair tied in a ponytail. A silver ring pierced his left ear. Golden stubble coated his diamond-shaped chin. He was clad in a white tuxedo; a mike was firm in his hand as he yelled over the din.  

"Are you ready for the party tonight?" He surfed through the crowd, winking at Lucy in mid-way.

Lucy's heart dissolved like butter on a heating stove.

"Chris Hemsworth!" the boys hooted. 

"We love you!" encored the girls.

"And I love you all!" Chris Hemsworth sprang up to the stage. Two men, a guitarist and a drummer, were already stationed there. After positioning himself on a high three-legged stool, Chris Hemsworth began singing, "I saw you in my dream..." His voice touched everyone's soul.

Chris Hemsworth, the leading singer in the Kingdom of Fiore, who had for six consecutive months broken the record of Monthly Five Hundred Million Hits with each of his songs. Lucy had a sudden urge to dash home to get her pink summer dress so that her idol could sign on it, but she remembered having an important agenda to do later tonight. Quickly, she wobbled through the crowds to get to the bar counter, muttering apologies in tandems as she stepped on too many feet. No one minded her though. Minutes later, she came out with a tumbler of Mojito and a basket of chicken wings. Chris Hemsworth's voice sounded beautifully in the background. 

After finding an empty seat, she relaxed into the cushion. Phew! What a day! She had just come back from the bank. She didn't know how many times she had patronized it. Twenty times? Thirty times? She had lost count of it. It was the insecurity of having so much money all of a sudden that she feared she would lose it without knowing it. She needed that money to buy a bunch of magical items when she became a mage. She believed that she was born different. The simple life led by the Commoners wouldn't appease her. She wouldn't allow herself to indulge in entertainment every night after work. That was a life without a sense of achievement.

"When I become a mage, you will be my mascot, Snowball," Lucy said as she pulled some of the meat from a chicken wing and fed her Labrador. "I can't wait to see both of us being featured on the Weekly Sorcerer's front cover." She fantasied, cheerfully sipping on her Mojito. 

A shadow appeared in front of her. Lucy sneezed at the perfume and raised her head reluctantly.

"Lucy, my beautiful goddess! It's my fortune to have met you here," said a forced, wanton voice.