4. edited ✔️

• • •

• • •

"About tonight..." Zac says as he lights up his own cigeratte next to me.

"So that's what Wayne really sent you up for." I roll my eyes. "It's just a party. Some guy from the soccer team is hosting." I say vaguely.

I watch as Zac's eyes suddenly light up and the corner of his lips lift into a smirk.

Oh, great.

"Don't tell me. You know the guy?"

"Jovan Salvatore. Renowned party-thrower in our college."

"You're kidding me." I sigh, falling back on my bed. "Any luck my brother isn't going?"

Zac offers me a sympathetic smile. "It won't be so bad."

The fact that my brother's going to be at parties cock-blocking me drains all the mood for it.

Parties. The one place I let down my walls, the one place I simply live in the moment at. Now my brother's about to ruin it at all for me.

After a well-rested nap, I make use of the bathtub in the house for a soak with my Lush bath bomb. The outfit I pick for tonight is an off-shoulder black crop top matched with acid wash high-waist shorts. To complete the look, I pair it with the only pair of black platform heels I brought with me.

To think I used to be a nerd who didn't know how to dress up. Cartoon prints, baggy jeans, cargo shorts—you name it. My hair would be tied up in a ponytail all the time with fringe clipped up and I wore thick framed glasses. Now that I look back, I really looked like shit.

Time and time again, I was called insulting names. Even my brother wouldn't acknowledge that I'm his sister when we attended school. Once, he actually told his classmate I was his neighbour.

Three years ago, when I turned sixteen, a friend of mine took me to a makeover as a birthday present. It was only then that I realized I could be so much more. Just clothes, hair, contact lenses and simple make-up make so much difference in an instant.

Eventually, when people begin to notice the change in my appearance, I regained my confidence. It was also only then that I had my first boyfriend, first kiss and was first invited to parties. It was only then that I began enjoying the fun of being a regular teenager.

Spritzing my Victoria's Secret perfume and grabbing my phone and car keys off the bedside table, I finally step out of my room after cooping inside for five hours. I don't ever bother to carry a purse to parties. It honestly makes no sense to me having to hold on to belongings in a place where I'll probably lose everything when I get drunk.

My usual practice is stuffing my ID and debit card in between my phone and its casing, and occasionally hiding a couple of bills in pockets or bra if I wear a dress.