Weeping Willows (Jerrie)

Start from the beginning

She just couldn't understand how her parents didn't see that.

She looked down at her watch. 

1:05 AM

Perrie let out a breath, the air crystallizing. She just now realized how cold it was out, and how windy it would be if she was out in the open. 

***********

Jade pushed aside the leaves, her frown replaced by a soft smile as her finger traced a heart carved on the tree, with her and Perrie's initials in the middle of it. 

While Jade wasn't one for cliché sentimental teenage gestures, she had to admit there was a special feeling fluttering in her stomach when she and Perrie had carved that on the tree, almost a year ago. 

They'd done it on their one year anniversary, Perrie's hand curled around Jade's which was in turn curled around the blade of the knife as the small image on the tree eventually was completed. It was after that, that they'd said their I love you's for the first time. That was one of the happiest days of Jade's life. 

She looked down at her watch.

1:05 AM

She sighed, leaning back on the tree trunk, waiting for her Perrie to arrive. 

***********

Perrie looked back and forth along the moonlit sidewalk and street. Both were completely deserted. Taking a step out of the alley, Perrie suddenly heard the sound of a car approaching. She threw herself back into the shadows, hoping they hadn't seen her. 

She wasn't fast enough. 

The car door opened and to Perrie's horror, out stepped her parents and Johnny, Caitlin close behind. 

"I know you're in the alley," her mother called out. "We're not going in there, you you're coming out here right now young lady."

Perrie bit her lip, slowly inching away from the road. 

"We can't see you, but we know you're in there," Johnny said. 

"Caitlin saw you duck back into the alley before we pulled up," her father added. 

Perrie's foot hit a pebble, sending it skittering across the cement. She froze, snapping her head back to look at her parents. 

"Don't try to run, you'll never get anywhere," her mother said. 

Not giving it a second thought, Perrie turned and ran in the opposite direction she'd come from. 

Perrie emerged from the alley, and sprinted into the woods. 

***********

Jade sat down, her head against the tree. 

***********

Perrie heard the snap of a twig behind her. 

***********

Jade closed her eyes, wondering for the first time if Perrie was going to show up.

***********

Perrie felt a hand close around her wrist. 

***********

Jade inhaled slightly, drawing from inside her coat an envelope  filled with pictures of the two of them. 

***********

Perrie jerked away from the touch, stumbling forward and hitting her arm against a tree.

***********