chapter thirtyseven

unmated

She cursed and paced but how do you get through to a little boy when he couldn't understand a thing you said? Pointing angrily didn't help. Shouting didn't help.

"That's it, I give up. My fucking luck has gone to the dogs. This is what I get for being nice. Damn stupid aliens."

Growling, she turned to see if he was even paying attention to her.

He was still playing with his toys.

Growling again, she crossed the room to see if she'd be able to recognize any of the things he was doing.

One screen looked like a beacon of some kind. The rest of it was all lights that made no sense. "Is anyone there? Dezrick?"

The fact that Kellum wasn't standing here was a good indicator that if she couldn't get off then no one could get on either.

At that point she started to feel around the walls for a sign of a door. A waste of time, but she didn't know what else to do.

After circling the whole damn room, when she looked back at Jai, he was watching her.

"I have to go back. Try to understand me. I have to go back." She spoke slowly and as clearly as she could. She threw in some arm gestures to help. "Take. Me. Back."

"I would rather you stay."

Her eyes narrowed. "Have you been able to understand me this whole time?"

"No, little one. The binder around my neck would not allow me to speak or correspond in anyway. Since being back on my ship I've been learning your language."

"Little one? You're the kid. Take me back."

"Why would you wish to return there? It was a most unpleasant place."

"That's true but I still have to go back. Julian is there. I just found him and I'm not losing him all over again."

He studied her for a moment then his image changed right before her eyes. Holy shit and pink twinkies.

"Is this pleasing to you?"

He looked like Julian. He sounded like Julian. Holy hell.

"Now you wish to stay with me?"

"Hell no. You can't wear his face just because you want to. Change right now."

Suddenly Kellum was standing in front of her. She would have thought it was really him, but her belly remained tingly free. "Hell no. Why don't you wear your own face?"

"Remaining a child would not suit my purpose."

"Wait a minute. How old are you?"

Kellum's eyes stared at her intently before he answered. "We do not age as you do, and we do not keep track of our age as you do. I can tell you I was trapped in that body for nearly five years and I'm very appreciative that you freed me."

"Then do the same and free me. And get rid of that damn face."

"I am unable to grant you your first request." He changed into William. "Ever since you first offered me food and you touched me, you imprinted on me."

She really didn't want to know what the hell that meant. "Is there a chair around here and maybe something to drink?"

A chair popped up directly behind her. After watching her intently he pressed a light on the screen around him and a lite blue ball appeared. After taking it onto the palm of his hand he walked it to her. "Will this be significant, Karza?"