chapter seventeen

unrest

If she was going to do this. She was going to do it now. The way she saw it, she had about three days before she'd want to die.

If that was true, then she was going to go look for Sin. He was an ass, but he was an ass that she considered a friend. Plus, he was still their best bet in finding Hayley and Macie.

Julian was completely against her plan. He wanted to head straight for St. Louis.

She couldn't do that. It wasn't just because she wasn't ready to face Kellum. She couldn't go yet, because like Adrian, she knew she wasn't done here yet.

Julian didn't agree but the only reason he wasn't fighting her on it, was the simple fact that where they were going would probably get her to St. Louis even faster.

If for whatever reason, Kell's people were taking humans then they could take her right to him and let her get this shit over with.

She didn't know what would be worse, facing him again or going through his withdrawals again.

As it was, she wasn't looking forward to leaving Adrian or the others. In fact, she found herself pretty close to tears. No one mentioned it, but her eyes flooded as soon as she'd stepped out on the porch and saw them all there waiting for her. Everyone was there but all the ones with the mark stood shoulder to shoulder. This was hard on them and they weren't worried about letting her know it.

Jess went to Fritz first. "Stay swell, kid."

"Don't do anything stupid. Never mind, you will anyway. Just stay alive."

When she got to Jaymes, she used one finger to push his glasses back up for him. "Let her keep thinking that she's the one taking care of you."

"I will."

Sean was next. He blushed as he kissed her cheek.

"Jessica still not talking to you?"

"That never lasts for long."

Annie winked at her. "I'll see you again. Remember that even when you think you're all alone that you're not."

"If you see Frick before I do make sure you don't take it easy on him. Let him embrace the whole you effect. Tell him I'm wearing a big smile thinking about him finally finding his mate."

Jess's smile slipped when she came to Adrian. He didn't say anything as he opened his arms for her. She tangled her fingers into his white t-shirt and held on tight.

"I don't want to let you go but I know I can't keep you either."

"We'll see each other again. I'm sure of it." And she was.

"As I'm I. As soon as I have her, I will come and find you again. It's a promise."

Seeing the tender, honest look in his eyes she raised up onto her tip toes, so she could press a kiss to his lips.

He met her halfway.

As far as she was concern, that kiss said it all. Neither of them was pleased about parting ways, they were going to worry endlessly, and they still didn't understand their feelings for each other.

Marty already had her backpack loaded and was waiting for them at the end of the driveway.

"How long will it take to get there?" Julian asked as soon as they reached her.

"By this time tomorrow."

"Ever seen any trouble along the way?"

"Not usually. I keep to myself and I stay away from trouble."

Jess looked back one last time. All of them were still standing there. Grammy and Robbie waved, Jessica was already making her way to the fields, but she knew the others would watch until she was out of sight.

She was important to them just as they were important to her. She gave a little wave as she walked out of view of them.

Julian gave her a nudge with his hip. He raised an eyebrow when she looked up at him.

Instead of answering, she looped her arm around his waist and looked over at Marty. "Tell us what happened that night."

Jess had no idea what Marty's last name was. She wasn't the most talkative person. She mostly dealt out a lot of grunts and groans. She was short, which was saying a lot since Jess was short herself. The other girl had short blond hair with blue highlights. She also wore enough black liner around her eyes to pass for a linebacker.

"Me and Von haven't been together very long but he's all I've got, you know? I was already living on the streets when all this shit happened, and people started dying left and right. I was used to living on my own. Used to not having enough to eat. Von was the same. He was good to me, but he got it into his head that we needed to head to Galveston."

"Popular place."

"Maybe but I wasn't impressed with what I was hearing. Von talk me into giving it a chance. We never made it there. Outside of Beaumont we met up with another couple. I didn't like them either but Von thought it was safer to travel in a pack. The first night we were around them the guy, his name was Pit, well, he started screaming that something was going on. We climbed out of the tent in time to see a bright light. No sound. None. It was like it was stealing all the sound from around us. No animals, no crickets. I couldn't even hear Pit screaming any more. It was no helicopter or plane; I tell you that. Van reached for my hand and we started running but we didn't get anywhere. One minute he was there, one minute he wasn't. None of them were. I was the only one left."

Marty picked up her speed. "I figure I owe it to him to at least look for him but there's no shit to look for. There are a few rumors that's it. All of them about people going missing anywhere from Beaumont to Houston. Even Galveston."

"Maybe they were there to help and just kind of forgot you. You are kind of small."

The girl's look suggested Jess drop dead.

"They aren't bad people. There must be a reason. Do you ever have random thoughts of hurting people?"

Marty threw her another look and sped up enough that she wasn't walking with them anymore.

Seeing Julian's smirk, she rolled her eyes. "It was a legit question. Can you think of another reason why they would have left her behind?"

"I hadn't even thought of that one. My theory is she was high that night and dear Von ran off with the other two."

"An even more likely choice. Either way it's only going to cost us a couple days, so we might as well check it out."

"Best case, we get a free ride home and worst case I get you to myself a few more extra days. I can live with that."

Jess pointed at Marty.

"She doesn't count. There were too many half in love with you back there. They were starting to cramp my style."

This time when she rolled her eyes there was a heavy dose of sarcasm into it. "Kiss it."

"Maybe later. We have a lot of walking ahead of us right now." Whistling, he picked up his on speed. "If I leave it to you, we'll never get there."

"Again, with the kiss it. Any way, if one of us is slow, it's you." Smiling, she popped several feet down the road then with a wave she did it again. She would leave it to Julian to explain that to Marty while she found a nice shade tree to relax under. She'd be damn if she spent her last few days of being pain free walking her ass off. She wouldn't do it enough to wear herself out, she'd just do it enough to have some fun at Julian's expense.