chapter two

unhelpful

Jess was eating peaches out of the can when someone knocked on the door. Since someone knocked and didn't just barged in, she took it as a good sign. That didn't stop her from reaching for Julian's hand. Nor him from pulling his baseball bat out of his backpack.

"Come on. I don't have all day."

Thomas. Which didn't mean they were safe by any means.

"You come alone?" Was the first thing Julian asked him once they faced him.

"Sure. Where's my brother?"

Disappointment flooded her. "We were hoping you knew."

"What the fuck does that mean?"

"He's missing." Julian responded.

"And the girls. Are you sure you don't know anything?" She asked, trying to sound hopeful.

"I haven't heard from him in months. He said he would keep in touch and he hasn't."

Jess frowned. "We've looked everywhere. We're worried."

At Jess's words Thomas lost his fighting stance and looked away from Julian. "Any chance he just took off?"

"No. Sin wouldn't do that." He talked about it a lot. He thought they were more trouble than they were worth, but he was all talk. There was no way he would just take off.

Thomas turned away.

"Don't you care? Are you going to do anything, jackass?"

He stiffened and turned back. "Little girl, you need a real man to teach you how to keep your mouth shut."

"Try it." Julian warned. He looked ready for a fight.

"You think I'm scared of you and your bat, boy?"

Julian wasn't a fighter, he was a peacekeeper, but when it was called for, he was getting pretty good at fighting. That was the way it was now. You fought, or you didn't make it long.

"We just want to find Sinful. He could be in trouble." Jess explained.

"He's my brother. My problem. I'll find him. You two stay out of my way." Then he was gone.

"I really don't like him." She admitted.

"Me neither."

"And he was no help."

"Nope. I don't trust him so stay close."

That was their escape plan. If they stayed close to each other then she could get them out of imminent danger. Not that they were anxious for anyone to know that she was different, that would be just asking for more trouble but if she had to, she would. It was the only time she could use her gift these days. She was too weak to ever use it for anything other than an emergency.

Julian went back to eating his pork and beans. How many guys would choke down pork and beans and leave the peaches for her?

Once upon a time, she could have polished off a whole can and still be hungry. These days not so much. It was doing wonders for her thunder thighs and ass, but if she didn't find some new clothes soon, she was going to be in trouble. Her jeans barely stayed up on her hips and her grey warmups were no longer grey. Dirty, stained. Way too baggy.