She thought trying to save the world was a good excuse but guess not.

Her biggest mistake out of dozens and dozens, falling for a good looking, alien prince.

For all she knew, he could be mated now and king.

That thought was a razor-sharp clawed hand digging into her chest.

Wow eyes.

Eyes that could sweep her away and fill her soul with warmth and sunshine.

She'd been so sure that he meant it when he said that he couldn't live without her. It hadn't been easy, but he was doing it.

And so was she.

If that is what you wanted to call it.

She didn't know why he didn't come but it didn't matter why. He didn't and if he did after all this time, she couldn't be with him like everything was okay. It was about as far from okay as it could get. Maybe she did betray him, but he betrayed her too.

Her heart was broken. Even without all the voodoo alien crap, she'd be hurting right now. A devastated mess.

Something her mom had never allowed herself to be.

She hated him for making her so weak.

"Look at me."

Jess kissed the hand that cupped her cheek. "That new guy touched my forehead, and it didn't hurt. Wonder what that means."

"Hopefully that he means you no harm to you. He seems nice enough."

"Yes."

"Sorry, I slept so long."

"You needed it."

He smiled a little. "I bet it was driving you crazy to sit and watch me sleep."

"I figured I owe you."

He reached for some shorts someone left sitting on the chair near the bed. "These people seem nice enough, but I want you to stay close. Any sign of trouble we get the hell out of dodge."

She nodded and reached for the smaller pair of shorts. They were a man's and would be too large, but they were clean.

They headed down the stairs hand and hand and would have headed for the front door, but they were stopped before they could reach it.

"Whoever in the hell you are, get your ass in here. You can help me get dinner on the table."

The old lady didn't even blink at seeing the newcomers. "Girl, you get the dishes on the table. Boy, go outside and get those pitchers of tea I had brewing in the sun all day."

When Julian didn't move fast enough, he got swatted with a wooden spoon. "Get. Girl, you want some of this?"

"Nope." Jess grabbed the stack of plates. She had no idea where the dinner table was, so she went in search of one.

There was no table in the dining room. Instead, there was three mattresses lying about the room with a wooden box of clothes laying at the foot of each one.

"We eat outside." A girl with brownish-red hair smiled at her. "Follow me. I'm Jessica, by the way."

Her arms were full of glasses and cups. "It's just easier that way. Somedays it's too hot inside. I wonder what we'll do when it gets cold. I haven't thought about it till now. The kids use the dining room as a room now. Good thing too or you and your friend would be on the floor right now. Our free rooms are officially gone now. Don't worry, though. If I know Adrian, he'll put up bunks in the living room next. Any time he goes away he always seems to come back with guests. Not that I'm complaining. He found me and my brother that way. Thank god. We were doing okay on our own, but it was no way to live. Being here almost makes it seem okay. I know it's not, but I like to pretend it is."

unwantedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara