26: MEMORY

A/N: This is one of my favourite chapters from both books. I hope you like it.

Harry, January 2nd

Louis had booked a five-star hotel.

The place was amazing. Our room overlooked the city. The bed wasn't nearly as big as my master, but it still superb for two lovey-dovey men with an infinite range of sexual desire. It was another unique experience to have Louis screw me as I viewed the skyscrapers with their tiny, luminous windows reach into the sable night sky as it had settled and swallowed those buildings halfway.

Breakfast the morning after was quite uncomfortable. There was a lot of stares. And since Louis acknowledged my distress, he circled an arm around my waist while continuing to scoop Cheerios into his mouth.

"Relax," he hummed. He could probably feel how tense I was. "Aren't you gonna eat your bagel?" As he'd swallowed the last spoon of milk from the bowl and licked his lips, he kissed my cheek and rubbed my side where he was holding me. "Cheer up, love. We're fine."

"Sorry," I whispered and leaned my head against his shoulder. "I'm just not ready for these headlines. They've never written about my personal life before. It has always been business. Sure, there has been rumours, but this isn't a rumour. This is my life."

"If you want, we can keep it more private. Stay inside. We don't have to go ice skating if you don't want to."

"No, no, no," I declined, creasing my eyebrows while looking up at his face, which was even more beautiful in its caring form. "I'm-It's not that I don't want to be seen with you. It's never that," I paused to take his hand. It didn't matter that some dude was glaring us down from a couple tables away. "I told you at Snow Patrol. If I can't hold you in public, I might as well not hold you at all."

"And that would be a mistake," Louis finished the saying. "No more mistakes," he added. "Got it."

A little girl I saw swing by our table reminded me of Julie. It made me think of Niall, Chelsea and the soon-to-be baby bump. I thought that regardless of how uncomfortable I felt getting stared at, it probably couldn't beat how Mr. No-Condom Horan felt after all these weeks of trying to explain to his daughter that she actually could eat a slice of watermelon or a bread roll topped with sunflowers seeds without getting pregnant.

"It shouldn't bother me. I just don't want it to damage our relationship," I slid back to the conversation, and Louis' thumb was stroking over my own. "I do want to ice skate, though. Really badly."

Louis' smile shaped a subtle curve. "Good. Eat your bagel, though. Need energy."

"Fine," I said and took a bite into the bread before chewing it lightly. "Do you know where to buy skates?"

He nodded. "I looked it up earlier. And I'm paying."

Rockefeller Center wasn't as crowded as it had been in all the pictures. Just like we had expected, the towering tree was still lit from Christmas, its multicoloured lights glistening and wavering as the subtle wind touched their twigs. At times, white stars fluttered in the dark-green to add a sparkling effect.

As soon as the metal bar on the underside of my skate touched the ice, I lost my balance and clinged onto Louis who was still wearing boots at the side of the rink. The boy chuckled into my ear and hugged me close by the waist while helping me back down so that I could sit until he was done putting his skates on.

"I'm not sure I'll be good at this," I thought out loud as I thumped back down on the bench we had occupied.

"Haven't you ever ice skated before?" Louis wondered. Just then, he slid his feet into the newly purchased, polished skates. He watched me shake my head in response. "Oh, wow. I thought you were a pro at all winter related activities. Guess I'll have to teach ya."