22: TRY-HARD

A/N: Louis' birthday! :)

Louis, December 24th

No Christmas music.

As luck would have it, I had remembered to tell Harry not to play Christmas music, and he had listened. Instead, I got woken up by a wet kiss on the cheek, and soft voice humming in my ear.

"Happy birthday, Lou," he whispered, and when he wrapped his arms around me, I had expected them to be bare. For this reason, I blinked my eyes open tiredly to see him fully dressed, wearing a soft, knitted, hunter-green jumper and tight, black jeans.

"Hi," I answered groggily. "Thank you," I added thereafter, elbowed up in the mattress and put a hand on his waist. "You look gorgeous." His scent whiffed into my nostrils, as if it had a mind of its own and wanted to be acknowledged. "Did you shower already? You smell amazing," I said and sat up straighter to smell his neck. "How long have you been up for? What even is the time?"

"It's ten AM. I've showered, cleaned the remaining rooms, cooked breakfast, wrapped some presents..."

"Babe," I chuckled. "How are you this alert? I can barely keep my eyes open and I've slept for eight hours. Besides, we agreed on cleaning together. What happened to that?"

"It's your birthday. I'm not gonna make you clean."

"Well, can I at least go get clean before we do whatever you've planned for me?" I asked, stroking his side. Harry nodded and kissed my lips shortly. Whilst pulling away, I examined his face, the details in his features, and the soft, yet effortless lushness in the curl of his fringe. "Thanks. Did I mention how good you look?"

"You did. You look a mess, though."

"Might depend on the fact that I had sex all night," I muttered and rolled out of bed in my nakedness, stretching my arms out to crack the bones in my upper back. Harry examined the whole thing, so I flexed a bit more before strolling towards the en suite.

After showering, I shaved my face to make sure there wasn't a single trace of the stubble, simply because I knew Harry prefered it smooth.

Since Harry was wearing a jumper, I decided to wear one as well. I'd brought one in my suitcase and it wasn't as soft as his, but it was navy-blue, and I thought maybe it would bring out the blue in my eyes? Or something like that? Bottom line was that I thought it looked good on me. So Harry probably would, too.

Skinny jeans, on the other hand, were always a good pick. I knew he enjoyed seeing my curves.

"Aw! You look so cozy," was Harry's first impression when I came down the staircase, fixated on my phone screen. I was in the middle of texting, but I closed the app and hurried down to embrace him in the middle of the foyer. Harry snuggled close and kissed my temple while we hugged out the admiration. "Happy birthday," he murmured, for what felt like the hundredth time. "We're cozy together now."

"Blue and green," I hummed and stroked his back, chin resting on his shoulder. "It's our colours, right? Our eyes."

"Oh yeah," Harry breathed. "That's true."

There were white and gold helium balloons in the ceiling of the kitchen, and between the two lights, he had hung silver pennants that said 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOUIS' in bold black letters.

Harry had cooked breakfast nearly identical to the previous time. It was the same tea and the same toasts, since I'd enjoyed them so much, but he had added a birthday cake and a plate with fruit slices and a cluster of green grapes.