7: FLIGHT

A/N: This is where the fun begins.

Louis, November 3rd

Well, fuck.

A while back, Ryan Gosling had sent out an email to those who were invited to his wedding. It was phrased as a thank-you-for-coming letter. Moreover, he shared information about having planned a trip to his vacation home at a secret location to celebrate the success of his marriage.

Since it was November and I was tired of constantly living through the same schedule, I figured it would be gratifying to get away, and maybe even sunbathe.

But, it wasn't until the day of the flight that I'd found out what the final destination actually was. Let's just say, I pretty much wanted to toss my ticket in the bin.

We were going to Salt Lake City, and according to the weather forecast, the grounds of Utah was currently coated in layers and layers of snow.

It was Friday and it was time to leave for the airport. Since my outgoings for the flight and the dinners had been paid off, there was no turning back. It didn't matter how many times I would sigh in defeat while waiting inside the taxi. It was still happening; I was spending the weekend as Jack Frost, when I'd expected to personify Moana or one of the fucking animals in Madagascar.

Kyle and Steph were already waiting in the gate when I arrived, and it didn't take long until we realised that Ryan had made sure we'd have adjoining seats on the plane. At least some aspects were positive.

"Dude," Kyle called out after having examined my spacious sports bag. "Do you realise we're going away for a weekend and not a month?"

"I do." I slouched my shoulders and pulled the strap to adjust the heavy bag. "But it's fucking Utah. I'm gonna freeze my balls off, and if I don't have enough clothes I might as well turn into a human slushie." Steph's nostrils flared as she laughed. "This is serious," I continued. "Winter's my worst enemy."

"I thought your birthday was on Christmas Eve," Kyle added.

"Did I mention how the universe hates me?"

Steph flung an arm around my shoulders. "If the universe hated you, you wouldn't be friends with us, and you wouldn't have a boss that offers you vacation during one of the busiest times of your life."

We sat down on the lined up chairs and I settled my forearm on the metallic armrest between us. Kyle plunged down in a chair on the on the opposite side of the same aisle.

"Exactly," he agreed with his girlfriend. "Think about it. If you don't want to go skiing, hiking or ice skating, you can just stay inside the lodge and hide behind a cup of tea, like you do all day anyway. It's gonna be cozy. Imagine being a bit chilly and then you kindle a fire in the chimney and cuddle up under a blanket."

Steph giggled at the last part. "This is gonna be a good way to enliven our Christmas spirit."

"I don't even like Christmas," I muttered. "The only person I have to spend it with is my stepdad and his parents and siblings. I have no cousins either."

"Let's not be downcast. You don't have to spend Christmas with your family if you don't want. Stay here in LA. You don't always have to go back to Doncaster. You know, you're gonna see your stepdad in January at the premiere anyway," Steph said.

I hesitated before realising an exaggerated sigh. "It's November. We don't have to agonise over these things yet. I hate when people make a big deal out of it. It's just a stupid holiday."

"Stop being a pessimist," Kyle complained. "Christmas is what you make it out to be. So cheer up and give it a chance. I'm sure it'll be lovely. Just like this trip."