.::Chapter Five||JailBait::.

"So which way?" Julian asked, cracking open the can of beer between his legs

Contents of the container spewed foam, blotching his denim jeans. "Shit," He muttered, quickly placing the can in the center console. It was a miracle that it fit, smushing the aluminum into the clustered filled holder baring old napkins and candy wrappers.

"Left." Janae said, eyeing Julian skeptically as he maneuvered awkwardly in the seat.

The car puttered loudly when his foot hit the gas petal. Sneaking away with a cute boy wasn't the most daring thing she had ever done—perhaps it was riding shotgun in a car that was bound to breakdown at any given moment.

Julian continued moving in the seat uncomfortably, sitting up and then sitting back. He sat forward, hunched over the steering wheel with a sneered expression. "Wet ass—I've got a wet ass now." Julian admitted, stealing a glance from the pretty girl in the passenger seat.

He wasn't sure why he had admitted that; the embarrassment kicked in the moment he had said it. His cheeks flushed a pink hue under his warm toned skin.

"Sorry." He murmured.

Janae's eyes shifted from the road cautiously, almost too weary to look away. "Why?"

"What I said—I shouldn't have said that. I'm sure that wasn't a pretty picture." He chuckled bashfully, lifting the can from the cup holder to wash away some humility. Embarrassingly enough, a brown napkin had stuck to the bottom of the beer can from the condensation.

"Well, I wasn't picturing your wet ass when you said it, but now I am." Janae shook her head with an unconvincing smile, turning her eyes to the window.

"Fuck, man—I'm... I'm really not good at this." Julian stammered, setting the beer back down between them. His elbow went to the center console as his left hand went to the 12 o'clock position on the wheel.

The way he drove looked as if he'd been doing it for most of his life—how he drove, however, was like he had just started last week.

Janae swallowed hard, contemplating on if speaking would be a distraction. "What do you mean? What are you not good at?"

"Talking to girls." Julian stated, but spoke in the form of a question.

Janae smiled again, this time genuinely. She looked to Julian sitting behind the wheel—face gleaming red with embarrassment, denim soaked at his thighs. Despite all of that, Janae found him... cute. There was something quirky about the guy; something awkward that made him endearing. She couldn't help but to think that he would possess those borderline cringeworthy qualities even without her present, he was only made more aware of them with her near.

"You talked to me just fine in the utility closet—I'm still the same person, you know." Janae tried to argue, but even she felt that things had somehow changed.