Chapter Thirteen

-Chapter Thirteen-

Marisa Johnson's POV

Soda sprays all over me. I squeeze my eyes shut until I can't feel any more soda flying.

I peek through one eye to see the whole cafeteria laughing at me. I then open both of my eyes in humiliation to see Kayla, the head cheerleader, and her posse standing in front of me, laughing their butts off.

"Aw, did someone have a little accident with their soda?" she mocks.

I should've known it was her who rigged my soda. I roll my eyes but can't help my reddened cheeks from getting redder.

"What do you want?" I snap.

She rolls her eyes. "Isn't it obvious?" She leans in close, her face turning serious. "Stay away from Mark. He's mine," she whispers, her breath hot in my face. She pulls back just as I start fanning myself.

"Whoa, how about a mint?" I reply.

Shock is clear on her face, but she successfully covers it with disgust. Then, she walks away just as Mark comes back with some paper towels.

"Thanks."

He nods his head. "What the hell was that all about?" he asks me.

I shake my head. "Just Kayla being Kayla," I reply.

"Are you sure? You look worried."

I nod and laugh nervously. "Um, you know. Just worried that the soda will stain. I'm gonna go wash up."

"OK," Mark replies.

I rush out of the cafeteria and head to my locker.

How did Kayla even get into my lunch?

She probably broke into my locker.

Why does she think I like Mark? I'm just showing him around.

Mark called me beautiful.

Whoa.

I'm about 5 feet away from my locker when, who do I see?

None other than badass, Andrew Smith.

I internally groan but keep on walking as if he's not there.

I just need my gym clothes from my locker and I can go change.

When Andrew sees me, his eyes go wide. "What happened to you!?"

I narrow my eyes at him. "Did you not just see what happened in the cafeteria? Are you that oblivious that you'd miss a chance of my humiliation!?" I hiss.

Andrew puts his hands up in a surrender fashion. "I wasn't in the cafe. Mr. Philips made me stay for lunch," he says.

My face softens. "Oh, sorry," I say.

Wait a minute. What am I doing? Why am I apologizing to this jerk?!

My face hardens again.

"Will you just tell me what happened? Please!" he begs.

I shake my head. "Why don't you go ask anyone in there?" I motion towards the cafeteria. "I'm sure they all know. Better yet, ask Kayla!"

Andrew puts two fingers under my chin and makes me look at him. "But I want to hear it from you," he replies while looking into my eyes.

I want to pull away, but I can't look away from those gorgeous brown pools. "Kayla rigged my soda so that it exploded all over me," I whisper.

Andrew immediately lets go of my face, anger clear on his. "Why that little..." He's about to stomp away when I grab his wrist.

"Stay out of it, okay? I don't need your help with anything. I can defend myself," I tell him, my tone harsher than intended.

Whatever, he deserves it.

He sighs. "Okay, look. I know we kind of got off on the wrong foot, and you think I'm a jerk-"

"A big one," I interrupt.

Andrew scowls, but continues. "But...I want to start over. If you get to know me, I'm a really good guy! And...I really like you. You're different from the rest...in a good way! I've never felt this way about any girl. I don't feel the need to just jump you, like I do to every other girl who throws them-self at my feet-not that you do! I mean, you're doing the complete opposite...which is why I really like you, and I want to be in a real relationship with you." He lets out a deep breath and pink rises to his cheeks.

My mouth is hanging open. "You...you want to be in a relationship...with ME?"

Andrew nods.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "No," I reply. I'm not going to be played again. Especially not by the same person.

He just nods. "You're still thinking of me as that jerk. Please don't think of me like that."

I shake my head. "I'm sorry, Andrew. But I just can't trust you! Then, all of the sudden, he smiles a huge, genuine, smile.

I raise an eyebrow, questioning his change of mood.

"Let's ditch."