Wired

I awoke with a start. All I could remember was the light and something touching me. Then I snapped back into reality and realised I was in hospital. I could just make out someone’s voice nearby. There weren’t any get well cards and no balloons. The doctor came into the room and over to my bed.

“Good you’re awake, how are you feeling?” he asked.

With the little strength I had left I replied “I don’t know.  I can’t feel anything.”

The doctor looked at someone outside the door and nodded at them, his eyes growing sad. He then turned to me.

“You’ve been paralyzed,” I gasped, I felt the tears growing. How in the world was I paralyzed? “But luckily it’s a different type of paralysis; it means it’s only temporary. By the end of the day you should be strong enough to move but you will need help for a couple of days.”

I was in a heavy black cloud, nothing to see, nothing to hear. There was this heaviness in my whole body. Apparently so heavy that I could not move, I couldn’t remember how to breathe for a moment. Then I started to hear noises, the doctor was gone and I was more aware of things, clicking feet near me, quiet whispers and a something soft on my arm. I lie still, straining to try and turn my head without flinching. Someone leans over me and brushes a hair out of my face.

“I swear you’re insane.” I flinched and jumped at the word.I turned my head, ignoring the pain, and looked into a blue eyed man with hair that was a light brown but had been sprinkled with salt and pepper. I stared at him confused, he reminded me of my uncle and it made me relax a bit, even if he was a stranger.

“Who are you?” I shifted away from him, noting I could now move my arms a bit.

“My name is Alaric; I will be looking after you now. I sent Marshall back home and Damien has gone too.” Alaric smiled at me, only slightly comforting me as I furrowed my brows in discomfort.

“How do you know about them? Why did you send Marshall away? Why should I stay with a stranger?” I kept rolling out the questions.

“I’m a relative of Damien, the boys explained everything, Marshall has a family you know and I would give my life to protect you.” He quickly gave me my answers and got up, wiping his jeans down and putting on his dark trench coat that had hung on the back of an office chair.

Alaric looked down at me and when the door opened he turned his head quickly and tenses, he seemed very defensive. I put a hand on his arm and he looked down, he smiled a bit as he relaxed a bit.

“It’s just my friend.” Elea walked in cautiously as Alaric walked out; he paused at the door and turned to say something.

“I will pick you up later.” Alaric left the room and Elea came to sit on the stool beside my bed. I released a breath I don’t remember holding in.

“Oh my god Kali, why were you in the middle of nowhere. Everyone was really worried about you.” I chuckled a bit, swallowing the lump in my throat.

“Everyone means Marshall of course?” I leaned my head back against the pillow and looked up at the ceiling.

“You’re missing one person out there.” She nudged me playfully and I flinched, she put her hands up apologetically but I just laughed.

“You should get going, you have riding today right?” Elea held my hand and kissed me on the forehead. Elea was a cow most of the time but when someone was hurt she was always so caring.