Defense

“Kali, what have you done?” Damien didn’t look shocked, just annoyed.

“But, I swear that was you.” I felt light headed and had begun to sway, Damien grabbed my arm and lead me toward the sofa where I sat.

“You tried to kill me?”

“No you tried to kill me first so I had to.” I sheepishly spoke with my head down; ashamed I had tried to kill what I thought was Damien.

“I’m sorry this happened.”  He stood up abruptly and walked over to the body, he tested his pulse and of course there was no heartbeat. Damien dragged the body out of the house and I assumed he disposed of it. I had killed someone?

Phone rings

“Hello?”

“Where are you? The police are outside your house.” Marshall was talking fast as if on a bike or something. I took a deep breath.

“I had a fight and they came to take me away, I had to get away Marshall, I’m sorry.” I tried not to burst into tears again.

“That’s not why, you killed Amelia, and they came to arrest you.” My heart stopped, everything stopped. I felt like I was going to faint.

“I didn’t-“

“Where are you?” Marshall’s voice sounded deeper and more serious, the phone slipped from my hand and fell to the floor just as Damien entered the room.

“Kali,” He walked over to me and sat beside me, clicking a finger in front of my face to get my attention.

“Amelia is dead.” I tried to hold back the tears but my hands were shaking and I was sweating and I could feel another panic attack coming on.

“You killed her?” Damien didn’t seem very phased but did however flinch at my words.

“No, it was a fight and I saw her breathing and walking. But she’s dead and they think it was me.” I held a hand over my mouth, trying to hold back a scream. How could I kill two people? I wasn’t a murderer, I didn’t want to be.