24 - Civil War

Liberty's P.O.V

Woken by the panicked sound of voices which included the voice of my dad, who was rushing around picking up one piece of gear after another. Steve had told me a few days ago that they had managed to get a lead on that supposed terrorist who was wreaking havoc on the outskirts of the city, so he could be getting called out at any point, meaning that it could be early morning or late night. This time, it was early morning. I rolled over in my covers, my eyes fluttered open to see the clock. 5:12. Great. I got up and dresses into some pretty slob-ish clothes, it was Saturday so I didn't have any school to attend, but Peter and Ned were coming over later to watch some movies and maybe do some studying, (but let's be honest, we probably won't be studying,) so there wasn't any reason at all to get dressed up. I took my dark curly hair out of the ponytail I had put it in whilst I slept and made it into a messy bun at the nape of my neck and went to get some food to sooth the roaring of my hungry stomach.

"Morning," I said tiredly, yawning as I reached the fridge. Aunt Nat, Uncle Sam, Wanda and my dad were all stood in the middle of the living room, they looked at me and dad walked to me.

"We've finally got that lead I told you about," he started, "I could be gone for a while and-"

"I know, I know," I cut him off, "If anything happens to you, I go straight to Lizzie's."

Dad kissed my head and smiled down at me with a sad look in his eyes and then he left, with the other three Avengers. It was a bit scary when he went on missions like this, and I understood that it was part of this job that he loved, but I wasn't ever quite sure as to whether I would see him again.

Steve's P.O.V

Shutting the door behind me, I looked in the direction of Liberty as she made herself food in the orange light of the kitchen, the blue tint of the fridge light highlighting her features. God, she really did look like her mother. God, I missed my best girl. My Peggy. For a while, I thought that me and Liberty would be fine living here by ourselves, but now I realise that really she doesn't need me, she needs a mother. Since they found each other, Liberty has been spending time at Elizabeth's, it seems that Lizzie was the one who managed to, at least partly, fill that void left by what went on whilst Liberty was under the ice. But I think Lizzie herself also knows that nothing can fill that hole for Liberty.

Peter and Ned are good for her, I can see the joy that they bring to her, the smile they put back on her face. But I've seen how Peter looks at her when she isn't looking back at him, there was definitely something there (even if neither of them could admit it,) and I knew that something more could be good for her, but I'm her father. I don't want her to get hurt.

It was so hard leaving her like this, which was something I never thought of when I took her in. My job with the Avengers meant that I was risking my life every day, and I was completely fine with that, but now I have a daughter to keep an eye on, it makes it all a little bit more difficult. With this job, I didn't ever know when or if I'd ever be home again, and now I didn't know if I would ever see Liberty again.

"You okay there grandpa?" Natasha joked, lightly punching my forearm. She always had a way of telling when I felt a bit off.

"This hereditary business isn't all it's cut out to be, is it Steve?" Sam said, giving him a sympathetic look but still retaining his not-entirely-serious persona. 

"She'll be okay Steve, she's stronger than we give her credit for," Wanda put her hand on my shoulder, it was nice to know that I had a solid team behind me watching my back.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked Natasha, she was usually good with figuring out the best places for attack. She smiled and we started our mission.

Liberty's P.O.V