33 - New Suit

Liberty's P.O.V

Suddenly, and possibly instinctually, my hand reached to my neck, searching and searching for something that was clearly very much lost.

"T-Tony, the-the pendant," I stuttered, feeling a pit of dread filling up in my stomach. I knew how hard Uncle Tony must have worked on that pendant for me, and I have just gone and lost it. Typical of me.

Tony stepped forward, his face in his usual unnerving smirk that told me that I had absolutely no reason to be upset with myself. This was Anthony Stark we were talking about, he had enough money to just throw around on simple projects such as this, I hoped to dear god that he wouldn't be angry with me.

"Liberty, you didn't lose it," he stated, making me release the biggest and deepest sigh of relief

"But, if I haven't lost it, w-what had happened to it?" I asked, looking puzzled at the billionaire, who still smirked as he reached into the pockets of his jeans, pulling out a small box.

"It broke under the stress whilst you were fighting Thanos, we salvaged what we could," Tony continued, opening up the box to reveal what looked like a regular silver ring, apart from the familiar blue and black marbled gem that sat delicately in the centre, glinting just as it had in the past, "everything was destroyed, apart from the heart, the gemstone."

Tony gestured for me to try it on and I did. It fit as perfectly as you'd expect, having it been created by Tony Stark, and the gen still glinted in the light. I smiled up at Tony in thanks, but he hadn't had enough, there was something else.

"Liberty, press the gemstone," he said, and I did as I was told, my right thumb pressing against the ring that sat on my other hand and suddenly a very familiar feeling rushed over my body as I looked down to see that shiny grey armour was forming around my civilian clothes, just as it had before I went off to fight the mad titan. But this time, the armour looked different. It moulded around my features, but it didn't just stop at my collar as it had before, it crept up my neck and created a sleek looking helmet and some built-in visual aids, just like the ones I knew that Tony had in his iron man suits, hiding my eyes away from the world and therefore, my identity. I watched as the armour folded over my arms and my hands, creating gloves and a cover for my ring. Finally, once the rest of the suit was ready, I noticed that it hadn't quite covered my arc reactor yet. I waited and the final piece that clicked into place on the armour was my chest piece. Where it had once been a star, the same star that branded the front of my fathers Captain America uniform, it was now an epic looking bird shape, latching itself over the place where my arc reactor, creating the look of the bird being all of the colours of the stones that made up my arc reactor.

"Woah!" I exclaimed, looking towards where Tony and now the rest of the Avengers were stood watching. I lifted my hand to my ear and pressed in a button, which surprisingly got rid of the helmet part of the suit, for now, an earpiece already built into the suit.

"Why the bird? Has my code name already been chosen for me?" I joked, but I was, however, genuinely curious as to why the logo plastered across my chest was a bird when it could've literally been anything in the world.

"It's a Sparrow," Dad answered, just as Tony began to open his mouth, completely cutting him off with anything he was about to say.

Suddenly, something inside my brain clicked, like a final puzzle piece completing the jigsaw puzzles that I used to make with who I thought was my dad.

Sparrow.

That was what my mother used to call me. I was her little Sparrow, her brave Sparrow, her clever Sparrow. But now all of that was gone. I felt tears pricking in the backs of my eyes.

"It was your father's idea," Tony said, clearly seeing how 'upset' it had made me, seeing my eyes well up. "we-we can change it if you don't like it-"

"No, no it's... it's perfect," I interrupted, swallowing down my tears, clearing the lump that had formed in my throat. I looked towards my dad, and I could see that he had also started tearing up, the waterline of his eyes filling with bitter tears. I walked forward quickly, embracing him and wrapping my arms around him tightly. I'm glad I had him, even if I didn't have mum anymore.

"I thought your mother would've liked it," I heard dad muttered quietly as his chest started to shake, small tears falling down his cheeks. This was is time to grieve where he hadn't had time otherwise. Finally, it was his time to let down that hard façade of 'Captain America, the first Avenger' and to just be Steve Rogers; father, friend, human being.