Chapter 17 - Assumptions

Start from the beginning

BRIAN

I know I acted like a pedantic child when I saw Ximena, but I couldn't help myself. I'm still hurting from her rejection because I don't understand what Jaden has that I can't offer a woman like her. I mean, he's my best friend, but besides the time he spent in a relationship with Jess I've never seen him take a woman seriously. Ximena doesn't deserve that. She is one of the most interesting and intelligent women I've met in my life. Her sense of humor is fantastic and there's fire in her, my jaw still hurts when I think about the punch she gave me on the day we met. The times we have spent together left me fantasizing about a life with someone like her, someone I will never find here as a fairgrounds manager.

"Why are you brooding?" Mom asks as she takes her place across me at the dining table.

"Nothing."

"I think nothing has a name and a last name," she lifts an eyebrow.

"Ximena Gaytan."

"That's the girl living at Greg's house, right?"

"How do you know about her? I thought you hated gossip."

"I do, but unfortunately I can't close my ears when people do. I've heard so many talking about her and it pisses me. They said that no one arrives here without a reason and they have been speculating and making stories about it. It's just like when I moved here when your dad and I married. Women were livid he chose for a city girl instead of a local one because most thought the Connors were swimming in money."

"Money? Show it to me," I chuckle at the crazy assumption.

"We all worked hard together with your grandfather to expand the fairgrounds. I flipped burgers and cleaned the tunnel pool on my knees with a brush and a bucket of soapy water. I sold tickets around town and made animal balloons. Your father always treated me like a queen because I worked hard for everything we got, but I wasn't the princess everyone thought I was. It's the same for Ximena. Jaden took her on a date to Julio's place, but Julio says they only talked and took a walk in the garden."

My mom's words sink in my brain. Ximena was trying to tell me the truth but I didn't want to listen.

"I didn't believe it when she told me nothing happen between them. I was a dick to her and she doesn't deserve it. I need to apologize to her," I pick at my nails, feeling ashamed.

Mom stands up and pats my shoulder. "I'm glad to see we raised you well. I need to buy groceries so I'll be back home before opening time."

I dared to ask her once if she wanted to retire. She didn't say a thing but the way she looked at me could have burned me alive. The fairgrounds and me is all she has left from my dad after he passed away and she still works hard to make it work. There have been long nights repairing rides in the freezing cold and she supervises the extensive cleaning during the day to prepare for visitors. Everyone comes to her to nurse a scrape or a small burn from a kettle. Her dream, like mine, is to see this place full of people having a good time.

"What are we going to make this time?" Jaden asks while opening the fridge and getting a can of soda.

"Jaden, what really happened at your date with Ximena?"

"Oh, you want to talk about that now. It wasn't really a date. I didn't even ask her," he chuckles. "I told her I would pick her and didn't give her a chance to say no."

"Did you kiss her?" I ask as he sits next to me.

"No! Well, I wanted to. You have seen her, she is... Ow! Why did you do that?" He rubs the arm I just punched.

"Just tell me the fucking truth! I was a dick to her and kissed her because I mistook her friendliness for interest. I thought her rejection was because she was interested in you."

"We had dinner and talked, then I brought her to Greg's house. Ximena is interested in no one. She ended up here to write her book and because some asshole broke her heart."

My mom's words repeat in my head.

"Did she tell you or are you assuming?"

"She said she won't start anything when she just broke up with someone."

"Interesting. I need to have a talk with her soon to clear the air," I pick a folder from the table and open it. "But let's talk about work now. These are ideas I got from library books and some research I did online. I'm wondering if we can get away with a paint job."

Jaden looks at each picture in detail and makes notes with a pencil. "This will cost a lot of money. Shouldn't you make more profit before you start anything like this?"

"I don't know what else to do. I ran some ads, but I don't see a difference. I'm at the end of my wits on how to attract people."

"Maybe we need fresh ideas. Why don't we come together and brainstorm or something? Lewis keeps that candy shop thriving even in a tiny place like this. He must have a trick to do well."

"You are probably right. Let me message everyone and see if we can tag along for the holiday pastry planning tomorrow. Charlie and Lewis will be together already and hopefully the professor can help me with some projections."

After sending the message, Charlie and Lewis reply that we are welcome. A few minutes later, Greg says he'll be there. I only hope something good comes out of this meeting because I'm afraid I'll lose the fairgrounds soon.