Chapter Nine

Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful?Will you still love me when I got nothingbut my aching soul?

when I'm no longer
young and beautiful?
Will you still love me
when I got nothing
but my aching soul?

●●●

Robyne straightend up as she was sitting on the hospital bed when the doctor entered her room. She even frowned when she saw her father, Arthur Gonzaga, walking beside her doctor.

The doctor approached her. May dala itong mga documents kung saan laman ang lab and x-ray results niya. Last night, she was tested for complete blood count, Erthrocyte sedimentation rate, anti-DNA antibodies, complement C3 and C4, creatinine and urea - also urinalysis to monitor her kidney function. She also did an echocardiogram last night to check her heart.

Both her dad and the doctor looked serious. Mas lalo tuloy siyang sumimangot.

"What?" She was getting irritated. Two days na siyang nasa ospital. Well, she was having difficulty in breathing when her father 'suddenly' visited at her unit and saw her barely alive. Nag-aagaw buhay na nga daw siya nang makita siya nito.

"Robyne," Her father was already massaging his forehead. Arthur Gonzaga looked frustrated and at the same time worried, "Have you not been taking care of your body?"

"Are you taking your medicines regularly or not? Have you been partying and drinking a lot, young lady?"

Hindi naman nakapagsalita si Robyne sa sinabi ng Dad niya. Instead, she looked down to avoid his gaze. True enough, minsan nakakalimutan na niyang inumin ang mga gamot niya. She's always partying and drinking... even having an active sexual life.

Huminga naman ng malalim ang doktor at nagsalita, "Ms. Mercier, based from the lab tests and your echocardiogram, your pericardium, the covering of your heart is starting to inflame... and your kidney, please remember this is already your second kidney. If you're going to continue this bad lifestyle, your lupus nephritis will have recurrence and it will be severe this time. It could be fatal if you're going to lose your kidney again."

"Doc, pwede niyo po ba kaming maiwan? Kakausapin ko lang ang anak ko." Arthur suddenly said as the doctor nodded.

"Sige po, Sir." Few seconds later, the doctor was already out of the room.

"Aubrey Robyne."

"What?" Robyne snapped as she finally looked up at her father. Hindi nga niya alam kung bakit ito nandidito ngayon. Since she was a kid, Arthur Gonzaga wasn't a father figure to her. 'Nung nasa France pa siya, ang Mama lang niya ang laging kasama niya. Just three years after her mother's death, bigla na lang itong sumulpot at nagpakilalang ama niya.