4. - Daniel Ricciardo

Start from the beginning

"I can't, Daniel."

It took a few seconds for Daniel to understand what had happened. When he heard the door of the coffee close behind you, he didn't wait and ran after you. It was pouring outside.

"Y/N!" His voice was loud enough to cover the noise of the rain falling hard, but you didn't turn around. He caught up with you though, turning you around so you were facing him. Your hair were soaked and were sticking to your face, as were his. Some drops of rain were running on his face to his lips and you had to refrain yourself from wiping them with your thumb. "Stop running away!"

"That's what I do best, Daniel. I keep running." You shook your head from left to right, fighting against the tears again. Why did he have to be so perfect?

"Running from what? Tell me! I know there's something wrong, Y/N, and I wish I could help you. But you have to help me, there." Daniel's hands were holding your shoulders. You hesitated a moment, but this time the reflex was stronger than your head. And you told him.

"Not from what, Daniel. I'm running after time! Every day, I'm running after time. Because each day I wake up is a win against time. I'm dying, Daniel, I'm sick." Your sobbing only heightened when you saw his face. He didn't pity you, like most people do. He felt genuine sadness, for you but also for himself. "And I can't let you fall in love with me because I don't want you to mourn me."

"I already have." His voice was weak, almost as if he only acknowledged at that moment how he truly felt about you. "I'm in love with you."

"Y-you can't. Please just-just stop loving me, Daniel. I spent incredible few months with you and I could never thank you enough for that. Me falling with you is good, because it means I will die an infatuated woman. But you, you can't. I worry so much about the after, about how people will react to me dying. I can't worry about you too!"

"That's why you never came to races." He understood everything, now. He couldn't believe how stupid he had been. It was all there, in front of him. And he didn't see anything.

"I can travel, but then you would have seen me taking my treatments." You exclaimed calmly.

"I just-I can't leave you now Y/N. I don't care how much it hurts, at least I won't have any regret. I would never forgive myself if I don't at least try. Let me be there for you. Let us have an epic love."

You didn't have to answer anything. He knew, now. And he still wanted you. For all the good reasons. You could blame yourself for letting him get attached to you, or you could enjoy this man and the love he had for you.

He stepped closer, slowly but determined. The rain was still falling but it was not as heavy. Daniel put a hand on your cheek, hugging it perfectly. When his lips touched yours, you literally felt the butterflies flying in your stomach. You were in love.

That night, Daniel took you to his place for the first time. He said he didn't want to spend another minute without you. He didn't treat you any differently from before though, which you appreciated.

Lying in his arms, you started humming a song.

Clinging to me

Like a last breath you would breathe

You were like home to me

I don't recognize the street

Please don't close your eyes

Don't know where to look without them

Outside the cars speed by

I never heard them until now

I know you care, I know it is always been there

But there is trouble ahead I can feel it

You are just saving yourself when you hide it

Yeah, I know you care

I see it in the way that you stare

As if there was trouble ahead, and you knew it

I'll be saving myself from the ruin

And I know you care

---

Everyone gathered to pay their respect to you. Your family and friends, Daniel, and the Formula 1 world. You had some amazing few months with Daniel. You travelled the world with him, cheering him in his garage. You had the opportunity to meet his team and the other drivers, all were terribly sad when they heard you were gone.

Dan cried, a lot. You had made him promise to cry until your funeral, and to live his life after that. You wanted him to remember you, of course, but you wanted him to be happy more than anything. He made the last part of your life worth living, and you could never thank you enough for that. Now, he had to think about him.

The funeral was coming to an end, Daniel's tears too. As everyone left the cemetery, he was still there, staring aimlessly at your stone. He was ready to live, for you. But he needed to tell you goodbye, first. So he sang.

I used to run down the stairs

To the door when I thought you were there

Do you shape through the comfort of us

Two lovers locked out of love

Oh, but I know you care

I know it is always been there

But there is trouble ahead I can feel it

You are just saving yourself when you hide it

Yeah, I know you care

I see it in the way that you stare

As if there was trouble ahead, and you knew it

I'll be saving myself from the ruin

I know it wasn't always wrong

But I've never known a winter so cold

Now I don't warm my hands in your coat

But I still hope

'Cause this is how things ought to have been

And I know the worst of it wasn't all that it seemed

Why can't I dream?

And why can't I dream?

'Cause I know you care

And I know you care

I know you care

I know you care

I know it's always been there