Chapter 8

chapter eight - a n n a b e t h

Tree sap hit my injury, and I couldn't hold in my screech. It felt like it was boiling and being scrubbed with salt at the same time.

Percy just stared at me. "You never scream."

"Percy, we should go."

This time he put a hand on his hip reminiscent of something Sally would do. "I think you looked better with the death mist."

My skin was pale and clammy and I could feel the sweat clinging to my forehead despite the wind. When I tried to move my arm to prove it's mobility, a stab of pain hit me and I doubled over, almost throwing up. "I think you're right."

"You need some help."

I returned his stare. "You have any ambrosia?"

"Yeah, In my bag."

"The bag you left at the house?"

"...Yeah."

"Well, then, that's where we need to go." I tried to stand up, but stars clouded my vision and I sat back down. Seriously...all of this because of a scratch?

I couldn't walk and Percy carrying me would take forever. We needed help.

Before I could explain my line of thinking, a satyr popped his head through the branches and yelled. "Got 'em!"

I tensed, sensing our disadvantage. Percy picked me up bridal style, but I flinched because of the contact with my scratches. Otherwise, he was warm to the touch. I wish we didn't have to the deal with this mess right now. I would rather have a nice date with Percy.

Instead of continuing to fantasize, I spoke to the satyr. "You come any closer and—"

In that moment Kendra, the young girl, climbed onto the tree.

She glanced at me, her eyes widening, "What is wrong with her?"

I opened my mouth to retort but a fresh fire of pain caused me to instead close my mouth.
"She needs help," Percy said, feeling as I tried to warn him against making a deal this blatantly by squeezing his arm. We could sneak in or something. Let's not make a deal with the people who want to treat us like criminals.

Seth scrambled onto the tree along with another satyr. Percy took a step back, hitting another branch.

"We promise not to hurt you if you or any of those other people, the ones inside the house, don't hurt us or imprison us or do anything against us," Percy said.

They hesitated, looking to each other. "Okay," Kendra announced.

"Swear...on the river...Styx," I croaked out, desperate to not make the mistake of not binding them to their actions.

"Do you swear?" Percy asked the four present.

"We swear," They said in unison. After prompting from my hands in a "keep going" motion, they continued. "On the River Styx."

Letting out a breath of relief, I realized a unlikely truce had just began.

b r a c k e n

"What's all this ruckus about?" I asked, as I stood on the porch. I could hear others dressing in a hurry. Hugo had come stomping over the lawn and started knocking on the house walls. And it's two am.

"Seth," He ground out a sound similar to stone grinding against stone. "Kendra."

I put a finger to stop him for the moment. "Ruth! Stan!" They needed to be here before any more news was told.

Not too long after, they were all down, including Dale and Warren. Vanessa left last night to continue her studies on a strange magical creature.

Four figures at the edge of the lawn. As they came closer, we could see Kendra and Seth alongside Percy who was carrying Annabeth.

"It couldn't be!" Ruth exclaimed as everyone gasped and Warren ducked into the house.

k e n d r a

"I can walk on my own!" Annabeth argued. "I took a quick nap on the way here, I'm revitalized."

"Maybe, but I'm not letting you go," Percy said.

"I did just fine under Rome with a broken ankle!" Annabeth said.

"Exactly, why suffer more? Besides, you had a cast and ambrosia then," Percy pointed out.

"You're not going to let me go, are you?"

"I'd thought you catch on faster, wise girl," Percy smiled.

"Whatever," Annabeth drowsily said as she fell asleep back asleep.

It was discovered that the 'scratches' were actually deeper than Annabeth had let on. Percy seemed to take issue with this, annoyed she had failed to tell the whole truth.

Seth and I started to walk in front of Percy and Annabeth as we neared the lawn. I glanced over my shoulder at them, to see Percy rubbing circles with his thumb on her shoulder and her arms were around his neck.

I knew one thing. They weren't bad people. It was clear when you looked into their eyes and saw the compassion shine through, despite the rugged looks of their state. The pure love that radiated out, was infectious, enveloping everyone in a warm hug.

When we stepped back onto the yard, Hugo stumbled to the house to alert the residents. We kept walking forward now, with Seth and I forming a barrier around the teens. The tension in the air was thick and the only sound was Annabeth's soft breathing. I could see most of everyone assembled on the lawn.

Then, he sliding glass door opened and Warren stepped out.

With a gun drawn.

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

Next chapter will be out by midnight Eastern time!

Also, as I wrote this chapter, we hit 200 reads! Yay!

don't forget to vote <33