Chapter 7

chapter seven - s e t h

The clock read 2:00 am. Everyone had been exhausted after the fiasco, especially Kendra. She was worried sick over Bracken, before she had came to the conclusion that he would be fine. He's a unicorn prince, for God's sake.

I don't know if she had actually believed that.

Longing tugged at my gut. I wanted to do this with Kendra, but I didn't know if she'd stop me. I feel like she's changed after all our adventures, and had become more risk-taking. Though, if she had regressed to her stingy self, taking her along would blow it. Still...

I shook her shoulder. "Kendra?"

"Mmh."

"I, uh, I want to sneak out," I whispered. "Come with?"

I heard a shuffle as she turned her body to look at me. "We could get hurt."

"I know."

"But all of them downstairs won't do anything."

I could practically see the gears turn in her head as she fought against her morals.

"I know."

A beat passed before she groaned. "Let me go change."

Standing at the edge of the yard, I wished I had followed Kendra and changed out of my pajamas. These sweatpants didn't do much in the night's cold.

Fireflies buzzed in front of our halted bodies. We hadn't gone behind their backs in a while. Well, I have. But Kendra? This was unsettling.

Dew on the grass squelched underneath someone's heavy footsteps. We didn't have to turn to know who it was. Only one thing that loud was allowed in the yard. Hugo.

Usually, his dirt presence was be welcoming. Who wouldn't want him there to protect you? I just didn't want him to turn us in to Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson. They would be out of their mind with anger and I wouldn't get to explore as much.

But, he had gained more free will. He was also standing right in front of me so why not try? "Hey, Hugo. Give us a ride?"

He ignored my question. "Where...go?"

"The woods for a midnight stroll."

He looked at Kendra for a truthful answer.

"We're going after those super kids."

Hugo pointed to the house. "Not like."

I shifted on my feet. "Yeah, yeah, they won't like it but we have to go. Don't you see? The people inside that house—they're always so passive. Don't you forget that the war would've gone to the demons if I—"

"—we," Kendra interrupted.

"If we hadn't taken charge. You have to trust me. Please, Hugo." I knew that Hugo could single-handedly determine if we safely completed the mission. Or if we even began.

"Come with." Hugo pointed at himself.

"Let's go get some help." I smiled. And by help, I meant Newel and Doren.

-–—•—–-

"You said you found someone that could help?" I asked Newel impatiently.

"Yes, yes," Newel assured. "Right through here."

"She said she knew something," Doren added, eyebrows wiggling. "Who knows? We might even get some gold out of this."

Kendra just sighed and rubbed her eyes. "We need to go quicker. At this rate, they'll have waken up by the time we get back."

"Of course, milady," Verl said, his sweater sticking up. Trust me, if he hadn't been with Newel and Doren already and practically begged to come, I would have never had him with us.

"In fact," Newel stopped at a tall tree trunk, maybe a redwood. "We're here."

"A tree?" I asked incredulously.

"A nymph?" Kendra asked curiously.

"Well, " Doren said, trying and failing to be modest. "Ya boy was cha—"

"Ya boy? Where'd you learn that?" Kendra asked, pointedly looking at me.

"What?" I innocently asked.

"TV, " Verl very helpfully piped in.

"Ok, now that that is sorted, " I said. "Continue."

"Anyway, " Doren said. "We were chasing some hamadryads when we heard Cynthia going on and on about some kids that were in her tree, apparently baby chuck was in it, oh I can't wait to visit, he'll be a such a good little satyr..."

Doren daydreames as Newel just nodded along.

"So? We just go up that tree?" I asked, already starting to climb. I could barely wrap around half the trunk.

Muffled laughter stopped my ascent. I turned around to see who was laughing at me, but as soon as I did the satyrs were either looking down or biting the inside of their cheek. Kendra however, never one to hide her laughter at my misgivings, snorted.

"This isn't the rope in gym class," Kendra said. "Plus, I don't think you could climb a rope either."

Newel couldn't help it and started laughing. Doren was red in the face.

I glared at them. "You guys are the wors—"

"Aaa!"

A scream pierced the air.

And we all knew where it was coming from.

The tree.

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

DRAGONWATCH: THE WRATH OF THE DRAGON KING (sequel series to Fablehaven) CAME OUT TODAY!

(oct 23, 2018)

don't forget to vote <33