Chapter 17

Listen to that wonderful song for an enhanced experience! What music do you usually listen to when you read?

Dedicated to @messy_handwriting for being such a supportive reader. Thank you for your kindness.

"Long time no see, Orino."

The man watched with a fine smile how all blood fled from Alessandro's face. Pale as a shroud the blond tried to catch a word -- but his mind was empty, except for the echo of a name long banned from his memories. "Daniele?"

Daniele's smile widened.

He was so familiar, yet so different. He recognized him still, but he was something else entirely. Like two pictures laid on top of each other -- a stranger and a best friend. It was little changes, just enough to realize how much time had really passed, even when it felt like yesterday. His hair was longer, no longer brushing his shoulders, usually tousled, but perfectly arranged waves cascading down his back. He was paler, no longer as tanned from their days in the sun.

Yet it was something else that fully alienated him. His eyes had turned to empty, cold glass. His gestures had always been sweeping, overly dramatic, with a natural love for attention, now they appeared staged. Everything about him was so ... artificial. Only that one scar remained real, the long vertical cut through his eyebrow, down to his cheekbone. He had never told Alessandro how he had gotten it, it just had appeared one day.

"I always thought you'd come see me," Daniele said. His breath smelled like fine wine.

"Why would I do that?"

Daniele laughed. "You are reckless like that. Really, I expected you storm in and strangle me. Rushing in without thinking is what boils in that hot blood of yours."

"Not anymore," Alessandro's throat was rough. He had to force the words out through a choking tightness.

Daniele laughed his fake glass laugh again.

Alessandro wanted to take it and smash it against the wall, have a thousand crystal pieces fly around them and tear their skin open.

"You have changed, Orino." The old nickname brushed over Alessandro's cheek, a sigh from the canyon of their past. So close, so far away -- Daniele had set the bridges on fire, Alessandro had torn them down and scorched his hands.

Too close, too familiar. Alessandro took a step back. "Don't call me that." He turnt around.

"Sit with me, Orino. I wanted to talk to you for ages."

"I don't care what you want." Alessandro stopped, jaw clenching.

"Ah, I know. You have made that very clear. I'm feeling generous today, how about a compromise? I'll walk with you, we will get to chat and you get out of here."

"No."

"You never knew what was best for you," Daniele sighed behind him.

Too close again. Alessandro could feel the warmth of his body. That had always been his problem -- Daniele had always been so close.

"I wanted to talk to you about your job."

Alessandro stiffened. No.

"The job I got you. I hear the people adore you," a slow smile spread on Daniele's lips. "You are welcome by the way."

"You forced me into it. I never wanted--"

"But you are so wonderfully suited for this. As soon as I heard about what happened, I just knew I had to give you this opportunity. Catching all those cruel, cruel murderers, they think you're a hero!"