The Bringer of Bad News

Start from the beginning

"Can I get a dozen waffles smothered in chocolate syrup and whip cream, please?" I smiled, handing him my menu. "And a hot chocolate, too."

Daniel blushed and murmured a quick, "Of course." before disappearing into the kitchen. I looked over to Grayson and burst out laughing.

"He totally forgot to take your order!" I said, pointing at him.

He had an adorable, frustrated look on his face as he muttered, "That's cause he was too busy checking you out. I'm gonna kill him if he looks at you again."

I smirked. "Possessive much?"

"If it involves you; always." He said, seriously. My face turned red and I ducked my head, thankful he had pulled my ponytail out before.

The waiter was back with my food and he smiled shyly as he handed it to me. A growl came out of Grayson and we turned to him, startled.

"Don't. Fucking. Look. At. Her." He snarled. His eyes had turned black and he was standing up and glaring at Daniel.

Daniel blushed and whispered, "I'm sorry, I didn't know she was your mate."

"Oh, no, he's not my--" I started to explain, but he was already gone. I looked over at Grayson who was still a bit angry. "Why didn't you say anything?"

He shrugged but didn't answer. I sighed and got out of my seat and sat next to him. When I rested my head against his shoulder, he visibly calmed. I internally beamed at the effect I had on him and then scolded myself.

If he's like this with you, imagine what he'll be like with his mate, I thought. For some reason, this notion didn't sit well with me and a twinge of jealousy shot through me.

No, he's ours, my wolf growled.

I scolded her. He's not ours!

"Thanks, Taylor," he whispered, burying his head into my hair and inhaling deeply.

I reddened even more. "Whatever. Let's eat. I'll share with you---I don't think Daniel's coming back."

"He better not," Grayson muttered. I grabbed a fork and a knife and we began to eat--me eating most of it. Whenever Grayson raised a forkful to his mouth I stole it like the pig I am.

"Would you stop?" He chided, but with a playful tone. "I'm hungry, too!"

"Nope," I mumbled through my tenth mouthful.

"Taylor," he pouted, dark eyes shuttered and zoning in on my mouth. I quickly swallowed to stop myself from choking on my food. Christ, it should've been illegal for someone to be this hot.

He leaned impossibly closer, his hot breath warming the area right below my (i've now found out)very sensitive ear. "Let me have some." His husky voice had me heating up, and I shuddered, unable to process anything at that moment.

"O-okay," I gave in. Glancing at his lips, I tilted my head, expecting a kiss and Grayson dipped his own and -

Stole my fork. To eat my waffle.

I scowled at the now laughing boy, snatching back my utensil. We continued eating--with me sharing this time, I didn't want a repeat of what just happened, that fucking tease--and when we finished, I offered to pay.

"No," Grayson said, stubbornly.

"What? Why not?" I protested. "You paid at Mel's!"

"That didn't count. We didn't actually get to eat," he said. "So, I'm paying. Go wait outside."

I tried once more. "But I ate most of it!"

He sighed. "How about this: I'll pay now and you can pay next time?"