“I do believe you are part fish,” I teased. She giggled.

“Part mermaid, actually,” she said with a wink and another giggle.

“So, I do believe –since I didn’t cheat after all- that I won the race”.

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t know what winning a race means in Ireland, but in America (and in Portugal), winning a race means to come in first place. Meaning you have to come FIRST. And I clearly came in first”.

“No, I came in first. Because I didn’t cheat,” I teased.

She put her index finger on her chin in a mock thinking expression. “Hmm. I don’t think so”.

‘Let’s make a deal. I declare you the winner this time. But we get a rematch. Deal?”

She giggled. “Fine. Then I hope you enjoy losing”.

“Au contraire, babe. I believe it is you who will lose. From the cave to that big rock out in the ocean?” I said, pointing to a large rock several yards away.

“On the count of three?” I nodded my head yes. “One-“

I took off sprinting and yelled “TWO, THREE!” over my shoulder as I entered the warm water.

“That’s cheating!” she yelled as I began paddling. I laughed.

“No it’s not! It’s called a head start!” I said, quoting her from earlier. She laughed and I could hear the splashing of the water from behind me. She must be gaining on me.

“Copycat!”

“You wish!” I said. After a few more frantic strokes, I reached the rock. I heard her pant as she too reached the rock.

“You so cheated!” she said. I laughed.

“I most certainly did not. I’m obviously a mermaid!” I said, quoting her again. She laughed.

“Niall, a mermaid is a girl,” she said slowly, still giggling. Opps, I had forgotten that.

I batted my eyelashes femininely at her. “Am I a pretty girl?” I asked in a high pitched girl’s voice, earning more giggles from Aria.

“You’re a very, very ugly girl”. I frowned and hung my head, pretending to be saddened by the comment.

She wrapped her arms around my waist and burrowed her face into my chest. “But you’re a very, very handsome boy”.

I grinned at her. “Handsome, huh?” I said to her with a wink. She blushed.

I lifted her up in my arms and looked directly into her eyes. “You’re cute when you blush, you know that right?” I said, making her blush deepen.

“We.. we should get back. They’re going to start to worry,” she said, looking away.

I shrugged my shoulders. “If you think that’s best”.

She nodded her head. “But first, I need to tell you a secret”.

My heart sped up as she stood on her tip toes and pressed her lips to my ear. She was so close that I could smell her strawberry scented gum.

“Ready?” she whispered.

“Yes,” I whispered back.

“I’m going to tell you on the count of three,” she whispered.

“Ok”.

“One…” I felt my skin erupt with goose pimples at the feel of her warm breath against my ear.