"The teams get into their huddles and take up positions along the kill zone," the announcer went on. "The dragoneers have been laying down a withering hail of fire."

I fell silent, watching the game but not really paying attention. My best friend used to have a crush on me. When did that happen? What did she see in me? And how come I never noticed?

"There was this one time when it was totally obvious, and you still didn't see it," Evie whispered to me. "You were what, twelve? Thirteen years old? Anyway, you went over to Mal's house in your pajamas in the rain because your mom had kicked you out for mouthing off to her. Mal let you stay with her until you were allowed to come back. You literally slept together in her bed, it was so cute."

I frowned at her. "I don't remember her ever doing something like that."

"Well, she did," Evie said. "But she never told anyone besides me because she knew what would happen if anyone found out."

My head was spinning. Why didn't I remember that? It was so uncharacteristic of Mal that I would've remembered something like that. So had my mom found out and then done something? Or could it have been Mal? No, it couldn't be Mal. She would never do something like that to me. ...Could she?

"Look, he's bringing that hothead Jay in from the Isle of the Lost," the announcer suddenly said. "And that little guy Carlos can barely hold a shield!"

I shook my head in an attempt to clear it. The information I had just received was swirling around in my head so much that I couldn't focus on what the announcer was saying, let alone the game itself. Suddenly it felt like everything and everyone was closing in around me, and the world began to spin. Shaking my head again, I began shoving past the people on the bleachers. I needed air. I needed to get out.

I heard Mal calling my name, but I ignored her, stomping past the students and jumping down from the bleachers. Once I was sure I was alone, I leaned against the side of it, wrapping my arms around myself as I struggled to control my breathing. Then I got fleeting memories in my head—Maleficent's smug smile, Mal's tearstained face as she repeated that she was sorry, the screaming of Evie and Carlos for them to stop. My breathing only escalated at the memories, and I squeezed my eyes shut as I sunk to the ground, burying my face in my hands.

"Freddy?!" came Mal's voice. "Fred, where are you?"

Then I felt her hand on my shoulder, and I flinched before snapping my head up to look at her.

"That night when we were thirteen, and you let me stay at your house," I said. "How come I can't remember it?"

Mal frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play me for a fool, Mal," I snapped. "Just tell me the truth."

Mal opened her mouth, then shook her head. "Some things are better left unsaid."

I stood up quickly, glaring at my friend. "Did you have something to do with it?"

Mal looked away, but didn't reply. That gave me the answer that I needed.

"He scores!" the announcer shouted, catching Mal's attention. "Prince Ben has won it! What an unselfish play by Jay! What a team! Incredible! And it's the new guys, Jay and Carlos, who set up the prince for the win here. What a victory! An absolutely wonderful end to one of the best games ever. Here they come, folks. The winners of the first tourn–"

"Excuse me!" came Ben's voice. "Excuse me. Can I have your attention, please? There's something I'd like to say." There was a pause before he yelled, "Give me an 'M'!"

"'M'!" everyone shouted.

"Give me an 'a'!"

"'A'!"

"Give me an 'L'!"

"'L'!"

"What does that spell?"

"MAL!"

"Come on, I can't hear you!"

"MAL!!!"

"I love you, Mal!" Ben said. "Did I mention that?" Then he called, "Mal, where are you?"

Mal bit her lip, looking between me and where Ben was.

My eyes narrowed, and I waved my hand dismissively. "Go on. Go to your new boyfriend. Cause until you tell me the truth, you're on your own with getting that wand."

Then I stormed off towards our dorm room, determined to find out why I couldn't remember that one night.

━━━━━━━ ❃ ━━━━━━━

A/N: This chapter kind of ended on a negative note but oh whale its teen angst what can you do