CHAPTER TWO

Lukas Gaelin couldn't stop staring. 

Which was weird because he was somewhat famous for his short attention span. And not just with women.

 Even still, he had spent the last few hours trying to subtly track the beautiful woman as she worked behind the bar. And Lukas knew she knew he was staring. His attempt at subtlety hadn't been a strong one.

He had no idea where this had come from either. She had been working here for probably a year now, and he had been in and out a few times in that period. She had never paid him much attention so in-turn his attention hadn't been triggered either. 

But something about tonight had him on edge. Maybe it was because he hadn't gotten laid in a couple of weeks, and maybe it was because the full moon was only three days away.

Lukas had been born with his Werewolf curse. To him it wasn't as much a curse as a fact of life. He'd been born into a Pack, in a hidden village in the foothills of Montana. Being able to turn into a Wolf was as natural to him as breathing. 

Lukas had been 14 when he had first Turned, and had since lost count of how many times he had switched between four and two legs. He could turn without the full moon, taking the magic from the Lunar cycle, much like the Witches did. But when the full moon came around it was difficult not to change. 

Only the oldest Wolves could force themselves not to shift during that time. Lukas was only 153, a baby in Wolf terms really. Until he learnt to control the changes he wouldn't age past this stage. Which was fine by him – and fine by a lot of the other Wolves as well.

The Run-Up was the week before the full moon where Wolves were at their most powerful. The magic stored in their bodies just kept building making everything heightened. Their senses, sex, shifting, fighting. Even food and drink had more flavour. Some Wolves liked to chase highs at this time. Lukas had spent quite a few Run-Ups high as a kite on something or the other.

Which was why he was pegging this attraction on the full moon. He just needed to fuck her and then this would pass. 

It was as easy as that.

She was beautiful though, Lukas couldn't deny that - or blame it on the magic of the moon. 

Her blonde hair was pulled up in a messy bun, stray strands stuck to her neck from the heat, her bangs were constantly falling over her face causing her to try to blow them away as she served drinks. But she would smile and joke about it annoying her with customers. 

It didn't help Lukas' obsession that she was wearing tiny ripped jean shorts and a tank top. New Orleans was unbearably hot at this time of year, so as she moved quickly to serve customers in the busy bar she was getting hot. 

Lukas was mesmerised as his sight caught the drops of sweat that were running down the back of her neck and disappearing under her white cotton top. 

He swallowed.

His attraction had peaked when the rotating fan caught her as she leaned over to grab some glasses and he had been hit with her scent. Jesus, it had been like someone had bottled the smell of summer. A beautiful balance of sweat and jasmine. 

Lukas had been stunned. 

When she had come over to fill his drink not so long ago, he'd seen that her big deer-in-the-headlight-eyes were grey, her small button nose was smattered with freckles that spilled onto her cheeks and forehead, and that smile... It was slightly crooked and so were her teeth, but it lit up her whole damn face. 

She was a knock-out. 

He just wished she'd show him some interest other than politeness.

Every now and then though, she gave him hope, when she knew his eyes were on her, she would tuck a stray bit of hair behind her ear, look up, and catch his eye, before quickly turning away.