CHAPTER FIFTEEN

A/N: I finally got a new cover for Lunar Eclipse/Blood Magic  - what do you guys think?

Hope you enjoy another chapter from Gwen - I really love writing her story ,3

*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Gwen once again awoke to the sound of the metal shutters sliding up her windows, and once again there was a body in her bed, their eyes frozen open, and the sheets dyed red from their blood.

She'd hoped filling up on blood would help her sleep, but it hadn't stopped the violent dreams that plagued her mind - the same images that flashed through her vision even when she was awake.

Of her mother's gut wrenching screams, of her grandma pleading and shouting for Gwen's life.

She quickly sat up in bed and squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head violently to try and disperse them.

What made it worse was she didn't understand them.

Valencia was her mother, she had raised her, looked after her. She was her mother. So why did it feel like she was trying to convince herself.

She was thinking too hard. They were just dreams, very realistic, but just dreams.

Gwen did her usual routine, got dressed, brushed her teeth and looked out at the midnight garden. She pulled half of her long and wavy ginger hair into a bun, and left the rest of it down. Valencia preferred her hair down.

She jogged through the long hallways and down the grand staircase. When she heard voices in the dining room she sped up.

Gwen's eyes lit up to see Rosario speaking with Valencia.

Rose grinned back, rising from her chair and meeting Gwen in the middle, wrapping her in a warm hug. Gwen buried her face in her blond hair and took a deep breath. She just smelled of something so comforting.

"How are you doing, my little flame?" She asked, her accent indistinguishable but utterly melodic.

Gwen shrugged but nodded.

Rose's eyebrows knitted together but she didn't say anything, but she stroked a hand through her hair, her expression basically saying, we'll talk later.

"Can we get back to what you're here for Rosario?" Valencia said, her words clipped with annoyance.

Gwen looked at her mother for the first time, she noticed that she looked a little tired, which meant she hadn't fed for a few days, and it also meant that she wasn't going to tolerate niceties.

"Of course Val."

Rosario was the only one who could call her that. But Gwen guessed that Rose had earned that right, being the first person Valencia had ever turned. It made her one of the most powerful Vamps in the world, other than the two originals that were left, but Rose was still a loyal follower of her Queen.

She was so trusted that she was the only being alive that had a line of communication to both Valencia and her twin Victor.

Gwen had been taught by her mother that Victor was a fraud, and had betrayed her hundreds of years ago, killing the only man she had ever loved. Her own brother stabbing her in the back. She didn't often see Valencia show emotion, but when she had told Gwen about it, there had been a hint of tears in her eyes. A hint so slight that Gwen was entirely sure she'd seen it..

Rose took a sip of her usual early evening espresso before speaking. "Victor has tasked Blake with investigating the attempt on the Deveraux's."

Valencia didn't smile with glee like she had when Blake updated her the evening before. "Excellent." She muttered. "Does he suspect me?"

Rose shrugged. "Most likely, but you know he won't confide in me about it."

Gwen smiled over her shoulder as Freya placed a coffee in front of her on the table. Cappuccino, one sugar, like always.

"It's no matter. We needed him to allow Blake in and he's done just that." She sighed. "Blake's gone dark so we won't be able to use his intel on Victor any longer."

Gwen spoke up, against her better instinct. "Why don't you stage a fight with Rose, and pretend she's on Victor's side? Like you do-"

Valencia's dark and dilated pupils pierced Gwen. She felt fear in her gut. Like a deer realising a split second too late that a hunter had it's rifle aimed at them.

"Nevermind." She whispered, taking a gulp of her scalding coffee to give her something else to focus on.

Rosario hadn't caught Valencia's death gaze - or maybe she didn't care - and placed a hand on Gwen's shoulder.

"Because Victor knows me too well." She explained. "Plus, he has this pesky power that can sniff out when people are lying to him."

Gwen frowned. "Do all Vamps develop powers?"

Rose laughed. "Val, have you not taught little flame anything?"

Valencia stayed silent as she sipped her drink.

"Only originals."

"You have a power mother?" Gwen asked.

Val pushed her chair back and stood. "If you have nothing else that is useful to talk about you can excuse me. You can see yourself out when you're ready Rosario."

They both stayed silent as Valencia left, her heels echoing on the marble floor of the grand entryway and disappearing upstairs.

"Hopefully she has an unwilling subject to feast on so the fresh blood can warm up her chilly disposition." Rose murmured.

Gwen snorted and drained the last of her coffee.

"How have you been my darling?" She asked, turning in her seat to face Gwen. "You got a hang of the bite yet."

Gwen looked down. She suddenly wished she'd kept all her hair down so it could create a barrier between Rose and her shame.

She felt Rose's hand on hers. "You'll get there." She said softly.

Gwen nodded, but still kept her gaze down.

"But something else is still bothering you..."

Gwen lifted her eyes and watched Rosario as she accepted another shot of espresso and thanked Freya for placing down a platter of breakfast pastries and exoctic fruits.

"I'm fine." She murmured. Gwen reached out and plucked a raspberry from the silver tray.

She didn't want to relive the dreams, the horror, and the pain of loss.

This time Rose gently brushed the backs of her fingers across Gwen's cheek. "You tell me." She whispered. "I keep enough secrets, trust me, this one won't make a dent."

Gwen swallowed.

She took a deep breath and turned in her seat to face Rose.

"Who was I before I was Turned?"

Rose's brow knit together slightly and it was her turn to avoid Gwen's gaze. Eventually she took Gwen's hands that were resting in her lap.

"Look at me." She said.

Gwen met Rosario's soft green eyes. They radiated warmth but they also showed resilience.

"This may be the most important piece of advice I can give you if you want to survive here."

Gwen frowned in confusion. "What do you mean? Why wouldn't I be safe here?"

Rose squeezed her hands in warning and effectively silenced her. "This world isn't safe Gwen. Remember that. But most importantly, if you want to survive, maybe even thrive, you have to let go of whatever is in your past that you're holding onto. That cling of mortality will end up killing you."

"I don't understand."

Rosario cupped Gwen's face. "Yes you do, little flame. And I know you're chasing memories that are important to you. We all do. But let it go. Let go of them Gwen."