↳ FIFTY-FIVE

TIME WAS NEVER on the side of those who needed it the most — it was a cruel, inescapable concept that slipped through one's fingers sooner than was fair, and all people could do, was try and adjust to its unruliness

TIME WAS NEVER on the side of those who needed it the most — it was a cruel, inescapable concept that slipped through one's fingers sooner than was fair, and all people could do, was try and adjust to its unruliness. For Izzy Holt, that had never been easy, attempting to find enough time for everything she wished to do or achieve, whether it was maintaining her friendships while studying to become a police officer, or double-checking every nook and cranny and lock and switch in the house before leaving. And yet, she was always punctual, the disorder nagging at the back of her head keeping her stuck in a ruthless cycle of taking forever to relieve the anxiety, only to then worry about being late — it wasn't conventional, but it worked nonetheless, and as much was proven yet again.

After showing up at the LAPD, ready to pin the blame for her hospitalization on one Ms. Richards, Izzy had left momentarily to take Thor someplace else — home was not an option, and that was confirmed when she drove past the house only to find it surrounded with yellow tape. The man who had attacked the Holts had been arrested, but he was refusing to talk, leaving the case still unsolved and their residence an active crime scene. It was quite unsettling, especially from the viewpoint of a cop who was used to solving crimes and seeing places like these, to realize that her very own home had become a location for eager kids to film on their way down the street. However, even if the gravity of the situation was churning in Izzy's stomach, she had courageously kept driving and taken Thor to the Deckers, where Chloe had promised to offer temporary shelter for all three of them.

As Dan had headed out for yet another one of his improv classes and Chloe and Lucifer had proceeded to further investigate the cryptic murders that had fallen into the Detective's lap right after Izzy and Diane had been sped out of their broken home in an ambulance — a mysterious coincidence, indeed — Isadora settled back into the precinct with a pudding cup and a fat stack of files. Albeit she had insisted on being merely a civilian who had gotten in harm's way, Chloe knew the curiosity existed in her heart, perhaps because she, too, found it irresistible to work cases even when she wasn't supposed to, and therefore the Holt found herself seated by Dan's desk with updates on the case. While she had agreed to sit out the field action, skimming through the evidence with Dan's sickly sweet desserts keeping her company was a nice slice of normalcy for once, nearly making her forget all about the throbbing on her body.

It was hard to deny that the attack wasn't causing consequences, not simply on a physical level, but a mental one — but she was trying to cope, not by denial, but not by dwelling on the things she couldn't change, either.

"Hey, you okay?" The sweet, sympathetic voice of Ella Lopez yanked Izzy's attention from the files she was rather enthralled in, her doe eyes finding the short scientist lingering by the desk with a concerned gaze. She had a different approach to drastic events than the rest of their co-workers — she didn't look at her with pity, and even though Isadora knew it wasn't anyone else's intention either, it felt good to just see such unadulterated care, coming from the purest of places and the kindest of intentions. There was a shift she could not explain, but the comfort Ella had to offer was different than she had been treated with all day, maybe more blunt and heartfelt, and it caused the deputy to flash a smile in response.