↳ ONE

"OH MY GOD, I'm not late, am I?"

The rush of words, drenched in panic and worry, caught Detective Dan Espinoza's attention as the soft voice of a woman rang throughout the room, causing the man to look up from the file in his hands and kick his feet off of the edge of his desk before his eyes traveled up and met the nervous gaze of a surprisingly tall, redheaded woman. He was speechless for a matter of seconds as he stared at the new deputy dressed in blue and standing in front of his desk with an apologetic look brewing in her light brown eyes, but eventually, his eyes darted from the woman to the clock resting around his wrist.

Pursing his lips approvingly as he nodded, Dan offered a soft, reassuring smile at her when he looked back up at her. "Right on time, actually", he comforted, and in response, the redhead broke into a wide grin whilst her shy, meek posture shifted into something more confident, her hands finding their way to her hips.

Of course she was punctual — it was her first day, one that she had been preparing for all her life, and there was no way in hell she'd ever show up late for that. Then there was the fact that struggling and sharing most of her mindspace with OCD hardly allowed her to be late. Ever.

"I know, just wanted you to notice", she winked, and as Dan let out a surprised but impressed chuckle, she extended out a hand for him to shake. "Deputy Izzy Holt. I've been assigned to help you with anything and everything, be your shadow basically— but, not to bother you, obviously. I'm also hoping to pick up some cool tricks... and helpful advice", the young woman stammered out a lame excuse of an introduction, while shaking hands with Dan firmly, still mirroring the smile wide and alive on his lips, as well.

Knitting his eyebrows together, Dan reminded himself of the meeting he had had with his superior, and surely enough, from amidst the bitter reminder of a demotion, he could remember mentions of a new deputy whose job is to help you in any way she can or you require her to. Frankly, he found it surprising that he was worthy of any help, considering he had pretty much done what any cop should never do, and stolen evidence. Yet, here he was, standing up and about to leave for a crime scene, with his new protege.

"Well, I don't know about cool tricks, but I think we'll make a nice team. It's nice to meet you. Detective Dan Espinoza", the man introduced himself, before patting his hand against the file he had been inspecting and nodding towards the elevator. "I'm actually about to head to a crime scene right now. I wasn't supposed to be back just yet, but I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are — stuck helping others", he grinned, and snorting, Izzy shrugged.

"It's not so bad. I've been kinda waiting for this since I was a kid", she flashed a smile after throwing her cap onto her short, red hair. "But hey, it's nice to meet you too, Dan."

And as they walked to the elevator together, he had a feeling she was going to be the most wonderful deputy he had ever mentored.

—————