↳ FIFTEEN

WHILE CHLOE SAT behind the wheel and drove their shared police car to the right address, Izzy tried to ease her invasive thoughts by pointing out every dog on the street to Lucifer, and giving them all names

          WHILE CHLOE SAT behind the wheel and drove their shared police car to the right address, Izzy tried to ease her invasive thoughts by pointing out every dog on the street to Lucifer, and giving them all names. Of course, this had led to the man questioning what on Earth she was doing and why, and she had simply explained that it was a coping method that usually did the trick and helped her maintain focus on what truly mattered — which right now was the case, and the murderer they were after, and not the disorientation trying to get to her. But unfortunately, gushing over the adorable puppies didn't do much else except offer a momentary, fleeting joy that soon became replaced with twice as much darkness.

          Gnawing at her bottom lip, deep in her thoughts, Izzy didn't even notice them pulling up at the driveway of a lovely apartment building until Lucifer was opening the door for her and blinding her eyes with the sudden daylight in the process. Without a word, he directed one of his infamous smirks at her before shoving the keys of the car into her hand, and as Chloe and her Civilian Consultant proceeded to walk towards the entrance of the right apartment, Isadora was left behind. "Ugh, focus, Iz. You got this. It's no big deal", the cop attempted to console herself as she quickly shut and locked the doors behind her, before rushing after her team and trying to be more present. She just needed to get through this, then she could fall apart in the bathroom of the precinct or unload her feelings in some other way.

          Lucifer, brave and straightforward as always, was the one to push the parted door fully open so he could step in, while Chloe remained at a distance from the man — she seemed rather quiet, like something had happened earlier — but before Izzy could question the woman's frown, she was following the two of them inside and watching from aside as the Devil proceeded to confront the other redhead in the room — Lily, who they suspected of murdering her two neighbors, Daria and Naomi. Frankly, Izzy couldn't imagine what would ever drive a person to do that to their friends, quite literally stabbing them in the back.

          As the most devilish of the trio started to rant about how you could take the girl out of Nebraska but not Nebraska out of the girl Izzy let her gaze wander around the fancy apartment, and in the process, her thoughts trailed off as well. She hated the nagging voice in the back of her head, but there was no silencing it. Things were changing — it was obvious, and she wasn't too good with changes that she didn't guide herself. She needed control to feel safe, and waking up with Mazikeen in the knowledge that the demon had taken care of her last night was way beyond that. She did like Maze, yes, but it was all rushing towards her so quickly, like a train she was bound to wreck with, and that was causing the pit in her stomach.

         She needed things to go her way — and she knew that wasn't always possible, that wasn't how the world worked, and yet, if something went awry, it would lead to... well, this.

          The thing that finally startled Izzy out of her thoughts was the sight of Lily grabbing Chloe and pressing the box cutter in her hand, against Detective Decker's neck, hard enough to slightly break the skin and leave blood dripping down in small droplets. Attempting to remain calm and collected for the sake of Chloe's survival — no doubt it would have been immensely easy for Lily, a murderer of two already, to swipe the knife with one swift movement and leave the detective bleeding out on the floor — Izzy drew out her gun, not hesitating at all to point it towards the woman standing in front of her.