A Late Night Flight

Start from the beginning

My eyes and throat burn with the unshed tears as I look at my older sister. With her perfect wavy dark brown hair which was tied in a braid which was then tied in a bun, glowing blue eyes, a clear (s/c) complexion with no trace of freckles anywhere with light scarring littering her skin to show she has fought in tough battles. A strangled sob dares to rip through my vocal cords as I stare at the clear smirk burned on my 'dear' sister's features.

I can't show weakness in front of them.

I sprint to my room and slamming my door hurriedly. I pull my sketchbook, armour and tiny dagger from a chest under the floorboards under my bed. I also grab mother's necklace and a hidden stash of bread if father would ban me from eating dinner. I stuff all my belongings in a satchel and strap on my armour and hung my mother's necklace around my neck, I dart to the window and haul my way through the window landing into the bush outside. I sprint towards the forest just outside of Gilsa's boundaries, hot tears stream down my face as I wipe them with the back of my hand. The rough texture of my hand armour scratching the surface of my skin but that was the lest of my worries for the moment.

My feet begin to tire the more I jump over uprooted trees from the recent thunderstorm, smaller dragons singing in harmony to their own songs as if they knew what had happened to me. I ran what felt like was for hours upon hours until my legs gave up on me, I fell to the dampened forest floor and rolled down a ditch. A gasp escaped my lips as I hear a deep rumbling of a dragon, I shakily craned my head up to see a massive slick black dragon with beady eyes looking menacingly into my soul.

I don't want to die...

...End of Nightmare...

I bolt up from the resurfacing memories, my throat was burning and my eyes stung with a great pain. I lifted my hand shakily as I took a small gasp trying to regain a steady heart rate. I feel a cascade of warm salty tears stream down dull features.

I start hiccuping quietly as rollover under (d/n)'s wing. Who knew I would become the best of friends with the dragon I thought who was going to slaughter me that day. We hold a bond so great that I'm so sure that Thor couldn't even separate us if he tried. We have been through everything together. I drag myself out of (d/n)'s wing not wanting to disturb him/her yet.

I crawl towards Toothless and place my hand on his snout. My tears dribbling slowly from the tip of my nose and onto his scales. Toothless slowly opened his huge dazzling green eyes which closely resembled Hiccup's in a way with their personalities. Toothless stares at me, a dragon equivalent of a concerned expression crosses his features. Like he could sense what had happened to me even though he is a dragon and wasn't present at the time.

"I need to talk to Hicc..." I whisper to the graceful dragon as my thumb runs over the scales on his nose, he opens his wings to reveal Hiccup curled up into a fetus position with one arm over his eyes. A shiver runs down Hiccup's spine as the cold consumes him, I crawl my way over to him and pap him on the cheek and he started to wake and stir. "Hiccup..." I whimper out as his eyes adjust to the darkness of his surroundings.

"(Y/n), what's wrong? Why are you crying?" He whisper-yells as he cups my cheek with his right hand as he props himself up with his other, his eyes scanning for any injuries that may taint my skin.

"Nightmare..." I whisper barely audible. Yet he catches on. He made an 'oh' shape with his mouth and started to soothingly stroke his thumb over my cheek. I lay further into his tough as Hiccup shifts around to stand to tap Toothless as the said dragon watches the exchange between us.

"Go wake up (d/n), let's go on a flight to try and clear your mind huh..." He reasons as I nod my head. I walk over to my armour stand and put it all on again, I walk over to a still sleeping (d/n) as I shake them awake. I attach his/her saddle as I watch Hiccup pulling his armour, my gaze follows the lean muscles on his back and arms as he pulls on his shoulder pads and tightening them.

We head back to the flight dock and dispatching into the inky blackish and purple sky of the night. Gentle strokes of dark colours painted the sky as if the atmosphere was a shield and the Norse Gods were the painters. White speckles of stars held the sky together in harmony.

"What was your nightmare about..." Hiccup started trying to break the metaphorical ice of the silence. He looked towards me through his helmet which muffled his words some yet I understood perfectly. A fairly audible sigh escaped my lips.

"My family"

"What about them?" Hiccup questions cutely tilting his head to the side keeping eye contact with me. My eyebrows furrow and my mouth droops a bit.

"My... older sister was always favoured over me, she was the tougher, prettier and better-skilled version of me. I always tried to get noticed by my so-called father of my potential as a great and successful Viking, yet he couldn't get over how my physical appearance couldn't keep up to par with my siblings. I was twig-like and weak." I took in a breath gazing into my palms opening and closing them deep in thought. I shifted my eyes over to Hiccup to see him listening intensely to what I was saying. "In the nightmare, well shall I say a memory, a bad one to be exact." A dry laugh consumed the silence. "I was banished for the sole reason that I didn't hold up the (l/n) name to the high standards that my father supplied for his offspring to follow." I keep intense eye contact with Hiccup. "My father is the current reigning chief of Gilsa..." I finished off. I pull my mother's necklace out from under my armour. I had never taken it off since my banishment. I stroke the intricate pattern of a spiral with a line horizontally splitting through the center. "Why, why couldn't he just accept me for who I was and who I am today Hicc?" My voice cracking at the end.

"Some people out there are just cruel (y/n/n)..." Hiccup states in a comforting manner. I smile at the use of my nickname. "Let's head back now. Dawn is starting to arrive." I look ahead to see the sun peaking its rays of oranges and yellows over the ocean.

"Yeah, let's head back..." I reply. I turn (d/n) around and fly side by side with Hiccup towards the sanctuary with a small smile adorning my previously stained cheeks.