6: The Ride Along

Start from the beginning

"Blake, are you ashamed of me?" I shot point-blankly.

"What?" his mouth gaped.

"Do you have to pick the furthest restaurant on the other side of town? Are you that embarrassed to be seen with me?"

"Taya, it's not like that—"

"Then what is it? You just don't want to be in a relationship with me, is that it?"

"No. I don't know. It's not that... I just... I don't know how to do relationships, alright? I've never done that before. And then there's RJ. It's... it's all complicated. We just need some more time to figure things out,"

"We? You mean you?"

It just dawned on me that perhaps my relationship with my education was like Blake's relationship with me. I was trying to keep my options open for colleges, and here he was, trying to do the same thing.

"Well if you can't make up your mind about me already by now, maybe you shouldn't even bother," I let go of my seatbelt abruptly.

"Taya, look—"

"Stop the car,"

"Taya—"

"Stop the damn car, Blake!"

The car came to a screeching halt. I unlocked the door manually and swung it open.

"Please don't do this," he said again.

I took a few deep breaths and calmed myself before saying, "I need some time to think. I think you do too,"

I stepped out of the car and he slammed his fist to his side of the door in frustration.

"Come on, don't be like this. How are you gonna get home?" he said, rolling down the window of the door that I just closed.

"I'll call my brother," I said simply. "Don't worry about it. Please just go. I want to be alone right now,"

He waited for a while, in the odd chance that I might change my mind. But I kept my composure strong and steady.

He let out a long sigh and I watched as the window rolled back up. I waited until his car drove away and he was out of sight before I finally gave out. I slumped to my feet and the row of tears burst right out.

I thought of calling Kai or Hallee and asking them to come get me, but just my luck, I had forgotten to charge my phone all day since I was too busy getting ready for the date. My battery had zeroed out.

Great, walking home it is.

Taking the stupid heels off, I started walking barefoot on the road, ignoring the calluses I'd get in the morning.

My eyes watched the road ahead intently. Secretly, I had hoped that Blake would be coming back for me. But the road was just as dead and as empty as my heart.

This is what I get for asking for romance.

I was just walking along mindlessly, when suddenly I heard the roaring sound of motorcycles speeding closer to my direction. I walked further into the sidewalks as I had no intentions on being a road kill tonight, although the idea did seem enticing.

"Blondie?" suddenly I heard a familiar raspy voice.

I turned around to see two motorcycles had stopped right behind me. One of the guys took off his helmet, revealing a familiar face.

"Judah?" my voice was shaking.

"You know this chick?" the guy in the other motorcycle said.

"What are you doing here?" Judah said to me, ignoring the other guy.