1 .

T U E S D A Y ; 4 : 4 2 p . m .

"(Name)!" I heard my name being called from one of the officers in the room. "Ms. Krueger wants to speak with you!" I looked over to my side and stared at the blonde. He noticed my stare before nodding, assuring me that he can do his work alright.

Easing a bit and pushing the slight guilt of leaving him with work, I worked over to where my boss's room is. She sat there with heaps of paper stacked on her desk. Glasses prompted on the bridge of her nose as she rested her chin on her bridged fingers.

"Please, take a seat."

I was tempted in actually taking the seat but fought against it, sitting down on the comfy office chair. "Is there something wrong?" I rose a brow at her as she shut her eyes. "It's about the monthly salary." Again, this hadn't answered my question but it peeked my curiosity.

She noticed the misguided look in my eyes before explaining further.

"I understand that you really need the money," she spoke sternly, "but as of this week, no paycheck would be given today. With a lot of this 'ghost activities' even being higher than the criminal rate, we need to focus more on that task before distributing everyone's salary." I only nodded, understanding her point. "I understand."

She breathed out a sigh, "at least you're more reasonable." Her forefinger and thumb rubbed her forehead to ease her stress. "Honestly, only a few people like you and Kurapika could be understanding to what's happening."

I only played with the hems of my shirt as she continued. From where she's coming from, she's trying her hardest to support and give all our needs. The fact that her hair tied up into messy high pigtails instead of her frequent neat one proves it.

"Is that all you need to say, miss?" I asked.

She only sighed, fluttering her eyelids open to reveal tired, pink orbs. "Yes. You may now leave. I just wanted to inform you about it in case." I nodded once again before pushing myself off the chair, much to my dismay as I was getting comfortable with it. I turned to leave the room before she calls for me once more.

I peered over my shoulder and saw her ushering me to approach her desk. "Actually, I have one request for you," she said. "Not that I'm complaining, but why me?" She crossed her legs from under her desk while grabbing another stored file from inside her drawers.

"I'm afraid only you can do this at the moment. I could've trusted this task to Kurapika but I've already given him his own and one of our best detectives is out of commission for a while due to some 'problem' so it leaves you." She explained, light slightly bouncing from the black rim of her glasses.

Debating on her idea, I asked again, "will this double my paycheck?" I smiled cheekily when she sent me a slight glare.

"How about a neck chop with that paycheck?" Yikes...

I shrugged, "at least I tried." My face returned back to it's stoic one. "But sure, what's the job anyways?"

All she did was slid the file right to me, stopping just a few inches from the edge of the table. It held at least two documents inside instead of three or five. Finally taking the situation at hand seriously, I picked up the folder and flipped it open, spotting a picture of a boy with snowy white hair and glimmering sapphire orbs. He only had an emotionless expression plaster on his face.

Looking down, I silently read the forum of the teen.

—————

N A M E :   K I L L U A   Z O L D Y C K

A G E :   1 9 (1 5   W H E N   H O S P I T A L I Z E D)

D A T E   O F   B I R T H :   J U L Y ,  7

G E N D E R :   M A L E

B L O O D   T Y P E :   A

O C C U P A T I O N S :   S T U D E N T

R E L A T I V E S :   Z E N O   Z O L D Y C K (GRANDFATHER)
S I L V A   Z O L D Y C K (FATHER)
K I K Y O   Z O L D Y C K (MOTHER)
I L L U M I   Z O L D Y C K (OLDER BROTHER)
M I L L U K I   Z O L D Y C K (OLDER BROTHER)
K A L L U T O   Z O L D Y C K (YOUNGER BROTHER)
A L L U K A   Z O L D Y C K (YOUNGER SISTER)

S T A T U S :   C O M A T O S E

C A U S E :   B L U N T   F O R C E   T R A U M A (CAR ACCIDENT)

O B J E C T I V E :   WHO'S THE PERPETRATOR!?

—————

I raised a brow at the objective- actually, at the whole document. I stared back up at Biscuit and raised the paper for her to see. "Are you sure I'm the one who should be solving this? This looks like those medical doctors should be taking this job," I spoke my confusion out while she just chuckled at me. Wow...

"No, I'm very sure that you should be doing it," she confidently confirmed. "I can see why you thought it would be for the detective-becoming-doctors to have. But it's mostly because of the objective we cleared out," she stated, now sitting up straight with her orbs trained on my form.

I lightly scratched behind my neck. "And the objective is what got me confuse." The look in her eyes pushed me to continue. "'Who's the perpetrator?' But isn't this guy just in a comatose?" She solemnly stared back down to her desk with a distant look, almost unsure of how to explain what she'll say next.

"We haven't found the perpetrator at the incident because we're, for sure, guessing that it wasn't an accident."

"So you say?"

"Yup!

I sighed at her optimism. "Then why haven't you found the perpetrator? Aren't they supposed to be easily found in the driver's-" she cut me off with a slightly disturbing statement. "That's because they were never found. No one was there and there was no evidence of anyone being in the car around the time."

She filed up all the papers she had on her desk before carrying them towards one of the many cabinets without a problem. "But we did find the owner of the car though." She sighed, feeling a bit accomplished with the pile of papers now neatly fixed inside. Her smile curled back down immediately. "Do you remember the dead guy we found in the trunk of the car?"

"Don't tell me he's the owner..."

"Do I need to?"

I grimaced at the small puzzle pieces fixing itself onto the picture. I was only informed about the case since I had a different one at the time. The fact that I heard them say something about a mutilated corpse found no where close to the incident sent an uncontrollable chill through my spinal cord.

"Freaky, I know," she rolled her eyes, biting her lower lip before plopping back down on her chair.

"Will you accept the task?" Staring back down at the folder in my hands, gripping it softly, before glancing back up to Biscuit's face holding anticipation. I couldn't help but feel nervous whether it was from the rush of an exciting horror mystery brought to life or just my own disgusted feeling of who the murderer is.

I thought over my final answer. "Gladly."