Chapter XII: Vineyard Picnic

Nicole was absolutely mesmerised by Salvatore when he was looking after the two new born babies that had come into the world. 

She can recall how Serafina's water broke when they all had come together to welcome Stephan, the poor guy fainted at the sight, while Alessio stood in shock, having dropped his glass and broken it. Salvatore was the one who took command of the situation, telling one man to bring the car around, another to go upstairs and get the baby bag he had kept for Serafina in case something like this happened while another called the hospital to let them know that they were coming.

Once they got to the hospital Serafina was wheeled into the maternity ward and then the delivery room. The transition was a long time so Salvatore suggested that some people go home and they'd inform everyone of the situation. In the end, Salvatore remained back with his parents and Alessio while the rest went home. Next morning, everyone got a call informing them of the birth of Marina Adele Romano and Michele Amedeo Romano.

Nicole was the first one to arrive from the rest, surprised to see Serafina asleep with Alessio sitting beside her, and Salvatore sitting on the sofa, both of the twins held in his arms as he was just looking down at them. Silently sitting down beside him, she looked at the two babies swaddled in their blankets, cooing at the two as she gently touched their cheek.

Once they had gone home, Salvatore spent a lot of time there, going over to Serafina's after work, just to check in and see how she was doing and bickering with her for old time's sake. 

And if he wasn't with Serafina, then Salvatore was most definitely with Stephan. Both of them spent hours on end together, sometimes doing nothing, and sometimes doing everything under the sun. 

For the past one and a half month, Nicole didn't see much of her husband. He had been waking up earlier than her and was gone by the time Nicole awoke and being busy with work, he couldn't make it to lunch with her; then he even had dinner either at Serafina's, his parent's place, or went out with Stephen. They talked on the phone every once in a while, but that only for a few minutes before he was leaving again. As the day's progressed, Nicole found herself not wanting to do anything and often started looking around the estate, somehow ending up in Salvatore's office, or study, or even his walk-in-closet. 

"You miss him," Manuel had smirked matter of factly when she stepped out of his empty office, and Nicole simply scoffed at his words, waving them away before busying herself with one thing or the other. 

But the worst part was that by the time Salvatore would come to the room, she was always asleep. She had tried very hard to stay awake but always ended up falling asleep. In the middle of the night, she would wake up for something and be relieved to find him sleeping next to her.

Their room was bathed in darkness as Nicole lay on her back, having woken due to something and stared up at the dark ceiling with Salvatore sleeping beside her. Heaving a sigh, she rolled on top of him, a sleepy hum escaping him since he had grown accustomed to her eccentric habits.

"Salvatore, are you awake?" She whispered into his ear, running her finger down his exposed back.

"I am now," He muttered with his eyes still closed. "What's the matter?"

"You're weird," Nicole sighed, resting her cheek against his shoulder blade, reveling in the warmth he radiated. "I don't get you."

"And you woke me up to tell me this?"

"You're very very confusing, you know that?"

"I've never heard that I'm confusing," Salvatore admitted, turning to be lying on his back as he rubbed his eyes, blinking away the sleep when Nicole straddled his waist, her hands rested on his chest as she looked down at his bleary eyes and disheveled hair.