Chapter II: Consigliere

The sun began to recede behind the mountains by the time Salvatore returned back to his estate.

"What do I have left?" He closed the car door behind him, looking down at his watch once more.

"The files and an inspection of the nightclubs, sir," Tazio got in sync with his steps.

"Move the inspection to another day, and bring the files to my personal study,"

"Not the office, sir?"

"No," Salvatore shook his head and he made his way towards the marble staircase, stopping short as a thought occurred to him. "Also, call my Consigliere. Tell him I want to meet as soon as possible."

"Of course,"

With the instructions given, The Mafia Boss made his way up one flight of stairs before going up another. On the second floor, he walked down the immaculate hallway, the white marble glinting in the bright lighting of the interior as various pictures and paintings lined the beige walls, flower vases situated on the table tops as he took a left, heading in the opposite direction of his bedroom.

Making his way up another flight of marble stairs, Salvatore arrived at the mahogany door of his study, pushing them open.

Unlike his office on the ground floor, this study was restricted to almost everyone other than the people he summoned. And much unlike his office, it looked quite different as well.

Across the room was a wall covered in curved window panes from roof to floor, the off-white embroidered curtains pulled back to show the sun setting behind the mountain peaks with a cluster of trees at its base. Two dark velvet high backed chairs settled before the windows and a roundtable sat between them. The walls were a pearl gray with white lining to match the raised ceiling; while the floor covered by a beige carpet. White shelves covered the entire right wall, housing books and trophies and decorations, even some family pictures. At the center of the right wall stood a polished office table with various stationary items neatly placed on the surface, a porcelain fireplace adjacent to the table with an off-white fainting sofa placed in the corner, a blue circular rug resting in the center of the floor.

Making his way towards his table, Salvatore took a seat before pulling open one of the drawers, rummaging through the contents before pulling out a file, flipping through the pages; his search was cut short by a knock on his door.

"Come."

Tazio stepped in with a handful of files and papers. Making his way over to his boss, he put down the folders and took a step back.

"Your Consigliere will arrive in 20 minutes, and these are the files of the day."

"Dismissed," Salvatore pulled the stack towards him, grabbing the first folder. Giving him a curt nod, Tazio stepped out.

He was halfway through his third file when a knock sounded on the door once more and swung open as Salvatore permitted entrance. The man in the doorway stood tall and confident in a dark grey suit and black button up as he made his way across the room.

"You called me?" He settled in one of the high backed chairs, opening the button of his blazer.

"Has Tazio debriefed you?"

"No,"

"I met with Mr. Lombardi today to settle the negotiations."

"How did that go?"

"Not the way I had expected." Salvatore sighed, not looking up from the file. "We had agreed that I will export his produce for 35% of the total earnings, but after having met me, he decided to alter the agreement."