Chapter 3 - Deception in the old Delphic Expanse

Start from the beginning

"It may seem a little funny, but I'm just curious about it. I've never been to a Daranaean wedding."

"Oh, well, they are rather interesting affairs, I feel. For a third caste female such as myself, there are certain rituals that I perform with Senjarus, and also with his two current wives, Thayla and Salena."

"In Caitian weddings, there is a ritualistic, symbolic hunt. Anything like that in yours?"

"My purchase is stylized. It used to be that there was an auction of sorts for third caste females. Now, the purchase is made using a beautiful pouch made of fabric. The coins are especially shiny and lovely."

"Who, uh, provides the fabric pouch?"

"I do. But I do not have one yet."

"I see."

=/\=

"I guess I could do that," Beverly conceded.

Picard nodded, and Marty fiddled with the communications equipment. "Dana MacKenzie, on the Cookie," he requested.

"Connecting you now," reported a Tandaran relayer, who then dropped off the call.

The scene on the viewer was, again, the Bridge on the Cookie, where Mack and Daniya were still alone. "Heya," Mack greeted them.

"Miss MacKenzie," Picard explained, "in order to best fulfill your request, I should like to present to you the newest part-owner of your ship. That is, if you'll sell a stake to her."

"Doctor?" Mack asked.

"We're hanging it all on the doctor's obvious interest in Wes Crusher's safety," Marty explained.

"I see. Doctor," Mack explained, "some of the equipment on the Cookie is, let's just say, it's barely the right side of legal." She gazed at Marty for a second, who passed her a private look of – stay quiet. "But, uh, there's a lot of confidential stuff going on, too. I can't really say much, but I do want you to at least have an inkling of what you're getting yourself into."

"I understand," Beverly replied. "But so long as you know, and Wesley knows, and Captain Picard here knows what is going on, with the details of it all, then I'm all right with it, I feel."

"Okay," Mack said. "I'll have our team's lawyer, Morgan Yarin, write something up." There was a communications chime, and she glanced over. "I'd better go. My Communications gal is out painting so's to give us our privacy. But it looks like I need her. Thanks again for everything." It chimed again. "Gotta go! Bye now."

After the connection had been cut, the doctor looked at the two men. "Are you absolutely certain that this will work?"

"We can't guarantee anything," Picard admitted. "But we'll make the effort."

"I suppose I'll add ship owner to my resume," she quipped.

=/\=

"That's an urgent chime," Daniya commented.

"Out here? Oh, man," Mack moaned. She hit an internal switch. "Crita, I need for you to come back; it's urgent."

"Right away," Crita responded. She nodded at M'Belle and proceeded to the Bridge.

At the same time, Mack flipped an external communications switch. "This is the Cookie."

The response was rather staticky. "This ... Aud ... Niff ... mayday!"

"Dammit, I am not the best at comms! Do you at least see them, Daniya?" Mack asked as Crita arrived. "It's staticky and breaking up badly. It's some sort of an emergency."

"Understood." Fluffy white hands flew over the console, and then an earpiece was placed inside a large, triangular ear. "Unidentified vessel! This is the Cookie! What is your emergency? What is your position?"

"Aud ... spatial ... sphere."

There was a flash off the starboard side. "I see them," Daniya stated. "It looks like a merchant shuttle of some sort. Looks like they're venting plasma."

"Okay, steer closer. Crita, try again. Maybe the signal will improve as we get closer. And get me Wes and Majira, please."

"What are you gonna do?" Daniya asked, as Crita pulled up a split screen on the main viewer, with Wes on the left, Majira on the right, and the view outside in the middle.

"Help them, if I can. I mean, this is the BFE of space, right? There is nobody else who can help them. We are, by default, elected."

"I just hope they're not Orion," Daniya muttered under her breath as she flew the ship. As they got closer, she added, more loudly, "Maybe try them again now, Crita."

"Unidentified vessel! This is the Cookie! Help is on its way. Repeat: we are coming to assist you."

"This ... Audrey ... plasma ... need help! Mayday!"

On the Audrey Niffenegger, Rick turned to Carmen. "Think they bought it?"

"Oh, Mister Daniels," she grinned, engaging the holodeck controls so as to create a closet in the bedroom area. She hopped inside, and then turned back to look for a second before shutting the holographic door and disappearing from sight. "The static was an inspired touch. Did they believe you? Why, I guarantee it."