10.Cousin Squabbles

"The Muslim is the brother of his fellow Muslim; he does not wrong him or let him down. The one who meets the needs of his brother, Allah will meet his needs. Whoever relieves a Muslim of distress, Allah will relieve him of distress on the day of Ressurection."
-The messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)
(Al-Bukhaari (2442) and Muslim (2580))

✖✖✖

I stared at the sky filled with uncountable number of stars. The glittering stars looked like they are hiding a storm within themselves. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the silence.

When Phuphi came and we talked about Rihana Phuphi, Adyaan's expression changed. When I followed him to his room, he looked like he could cry at any moment. I hugged him and patted his head. Some tears flowed from his eyes but he controlled himself. He had accepted that he still care about her. I knew he still loves her and why wouldn't he? She was like a second mother to him.

"Here you go!" Naeema Phuphi said after she finished making a braid of my hair. I was sitting on a floor while she sat on the bed behind me.

"Jazakillah!" I said and smiled.

"Wa iyaki." She said patting my head.

I smiled as I sat beside her. I placed my head on her lap and laid down on the bed. I relaxed when she started patting my head slowly.

It felt like I travelled back to past. I would lay my head in her lap and she would tell me stories of her childhood. She was a prankster of the family. Always doing something and annoying others still everyone loved her. Her pranks would make everyone smile. I still remember many of her stories.

"Ammi!!"

The peaceful silence was broken by an angry Nawal entering the room.

"Ammi!!" She called loudly.

"Ya Allah! Nawal, lower your voice." Phuphi said.

"Ammi." She said as she sat beside Phuphi. I sat from my lying position before seeing Adyaan enter the room.

"Ammi. He took my ring and says lost it. But I know he hid it. Ammi, tell him to return it." She said.

"Adyaan, so childish!" I  commented.

"Hey! I'm not! Why would I take her ring?" He asked.

"Yes. Nawal, why would he take your ring?" Phuphi asked, siding with Adyaan.

"Yes. Why would I?" He smirked before sitting behind Phuphi.

"He said he wanted to see it. So I gave it to him." She said with a pout.

"Why would I be interested in your ring?" Adyaan asked.

"How would I know?"

They started bickering. Nawal was very much annoyed. I knew Adyaan hid it. He did it many times when he was a kid. Their bickering was stopped when Phuphi said,

"Nawal, you are fifteen years old now. Stop bickering like a kid."

"No, Phuphi. It's her ring. She should get it back. And Adyaan, stop annoying the poor girl and return it." I said the last part to Adyaan.

He put his hand in his pocket and took out a glimmering ring.

"See, Ammi!" She said after she took the ring from him.

"Adyaan, I didn't expect it from you." Phuphi glared playfully as she took hold of Adyaan's ear.

"C'mon Phuphi. It was just for fun. Little did I knew she would cry like a baby." Adyaan said after Phuphi released his ear.