Chapter 14

Today, we have a day off school because most of our teachers are on some sort of Strike. -don't ask..

I'm kinda glad to be honest.

I sit on my bed and debate on calling Sophie to tell her about Matt asking me to summer formal.

I don't know why but I think telling her in person would be a lot more fun.

I finally decide on calling her, as she would do the same to me if it was her being asked.

I dial up her number and wait to hear her voice on the other side.

"Hey!" She says, in a happy tone.

"Hey!" I say back.

"What's up?" She asks. I can hear her close one of the doors in her house.

"Guess who got asked to summer formal last night?" I sing, smiling to myself.

"He asked you?!" She screams a little.

"Yes!" I yell, laughing.

"Oh my god, I'm so happy for you, Taylor! I can't believe he built up the courage to ask you! He was so shy about it all, you know Cam, he's so awkward." She giggles to herself.

My smile fades away until I'm sitting on the other end of the phone, speechless.

There's a 10 second pause.

"..Taylor?" Sophie asks.

I don't respond.

"..Taylor?!" She asks again.

"Cam didn't ask me!" I say.

"Who did?" Sophie asks.

I hesitate.

"Matthew." I finally say.

Now it's Sophie's turn to be speechless.

"Oh my god, I totally messed up.." I confess.

"Cam is gonna be crushed.." Sophie says, sighing.

I close my eyes and just think about things.

"I can't do this to him. Cam is like one of my best friends, I can't just reject him." I say.

"He had his whole mind set on asking you, I swear!" She says.

"But, what do I tell Matt?" I ask her.

"I don't know, tell him Cameron asked you first?" She says.

"..okay. Thanks Soph." I say.

"Good luck, Taylor." She says.

We both end the call.

God, I should've known Cam was gonna ask me.

I put on my converse and stand up.

I glance at myself in the mirror before exiting my room.

I'm determined to set things straight.

I walk downstairs and straight out the front door.

I close it behind me and squint my eyes, looking up to Matt's bedroom window.

I sit down on my front step.

I keep looking for a minute or two until I realise that he's not going to look out here anytime soon.

I stand up and brush off my jeans of any unwanted dirt or dust that may be surfacing on them.

I walk towards Matthew's drive way.

I bend down and pick up a small pebble that's laying on the ground with what looks like millions of others.

I look up and aim before hitting his window perfectly with not so much of a loud hit, but a distinct hit.

It takes about 10 seconds before I see a shadow walk towards the curtains and open them.

Matthew.

He smiles as soon as he see's me.

I lean against his wall and smile back.

"Hey, are you gonna stay staring down here all day or actually come talk to me?" I laugh.

He still smiles while he answers, "jeez, Taylor. Why not both?"

"Get your ass down here." I laugh, propping myself onto his wall outside his house.

He salutes me and closes his curtains,

Within seconds he's downstairs and coming out the front door.

"What's up?" He asks, walking towards me.

I inhale.

"I just need to talk to you, - about something." I mumble.

"Alright, I'm listening." He says, taking a seat beside me.

"You're gonna think I'm such a jerk after this." I roll my eyes.

"Me? Never." He laughs.

I take a deep breath.

"You're gonna hate me for this.." I sigh.

"Come on, just say it." He says, smiling.

I hesitate.

"Okay I'm gonna make this long story short, because honestly? There is no nice way I can put this." I confess.

He smiles, it's a nervous smile though.

"I can't go to summer formal with you, because cam wanted to ask me, but he was too scared. And Cam is my best friend, Matt. I can't just reject him. He's been here for me. I'm sorry, this is nothing personal. I wish it hadn't happend this way, I'm so sorry." I blurt out.

Wow, I said that in a bit of a rush.

Matthew just stares past me, trying to find words.

He stands up speechless, while he walks away from me.

I stand up too and watch him walk.

"Matt, wait, please! Please just try to understand-"

"Understand what Taylor?" He asks, turning around to see me.

"Understand you stood me up? Yeah, I think I got that. Thanks anyway though. You know, I thought I might have actually had a chance with you this summer.. I guess not though. I'll see you around." He continues before walking away from me, back into his house.

"Matt, wait!-"

He cuts me off, he leaves me standing foolishly in his front yard with tears streaming down my face.

I turn around and walk to my house, hoping I can make a clear escape to my room without anyone seeing the state I'm in.

I knew he'd be mad at me. I knew I shouldn't have said yes in the first place.

God, I'm crying even harder now.

I open my front door and glance around to see if everything's clear.

When I see that it's empty, I run for the stairs and up to my room.

I slam the door behind me and launch my whole body onto my bed, crying hysterically.

I've made such a mess of things.