Chapter 15: Aqua

They hadn't talked much that semester, though Ember tried. Eventually she just gave up. Aqua felt the sting of her absence, but kept herself focused on school and meeting new friends.

By the time that they were heading towards Athens to get on their trip, they were going on separate planes. When they arrived, the saw the old ruins of Ancient Greece and the new city that surrounded it. They arrived at the airport, taking the bus to their hostel. They were staying in separate rooms, and hadn't even spoken to each other.

They got to know the girls in their room, going out to explore the city. They both walked through the ancient ruins. Then they got up early in the morning, to head on the bus to get to the ferry to Mykonos.

They both stared as they rode the bus and got onto the ferry.

Aqua came out onto the balcony to stare at the crystal blue water beneath her. She felt her heart leap.

When they arrived, they saw the beautiful white city on the coast and stared in awe as the water crashed onto the streets next to where people were eating.

That night, there was going to be a bar crawl. Ember had met two girls that she had become friends with. Knowing that Ember was going to be there, Aqua felt an intense urge to stay away from her.

It was nighttime when, fully recovered from her jet lag, she put on a blue dress and headed towards the rocky beach. It was somewhat deserted here. She could hear people dancing in the distance.

The stars were out, so full and bright. She stripped off her dress and entered into the water. She dunk her head down.

The waters engulfed her

No matter how hard she tried

She couldn't find her way up. She stared out of head, opening her mouth in surprise, thinking that she was going to die. Then, noticing that she had swallowed a lot of sea water, she cried underwater.

Two mysterious figures appeared in front of her. They were dolphins. They swam around her, forming a circle that enclosed her body. From that point, she was in shock.

Flanked by dolphin escorts, they dragged her body very deep into the water. Weren't dolphins supposed to be helpful? Aqua didn't know how far she was away from the shore by then, for she had traveled way too far.

Until they go too deep

Reaching a blinding portal of blue

Leading to a lot of traffic

Glittering and glowing

As the submarine passes through the water

On the other side is a great whale

Who swims along and then away from them

As they arrive

She sees the shining city ahead

A water world

Hidden beneath the waves

That so many sailors believed in and hoped they would touch on their way to their watery deaths

Sea creatures beyond the imagining

Where the strange turns into the fantastical

Megaladon predatory sharks and mermaids

Some with separate kingdoms of their own and some

Simple predators living off flesh and blood

None a choice or advance

Just beings much aligned with their natures as natures involved with them

In shock at the castle ahead of her, she struggled, wanting to do anything to turn away. The dolphins pushed her through the darkness of a cave below the castle. The mouth of the cave grabbed her, sucking her in, and she screamed once more.