Chapter 11: Aqua

It was a plane flight like no other, one that felt ever so lonely and full of fear. Aqua was taken out of the house and driven down the road. Passed the beautiful flowers along the highway. They took the highway, zooming along casually, until they found their exit.

The airport loomed casually in front of them. Every moment was full of the reality of her venture. She didn't want to go anymore. Yet what could one more word expressed to her Mom make as any difference? So she kept her words silent as Diana blasted the music out of her headphones and their car was otherwise virtually silent.

She was taken to the customs. Kissed her little sister and her mom. Took one last look at them as they walked away. Stared at the people behind her ever so casually - a bunch of New Jersey men. She didn't realize how much she was going to miss those people. Cranky, disheveled, but strong. That was her New York. These were her people.

Walked up to the man sitting and checking ID's. Let her bag through, then was put to the other side of the airport. There, she was surrounded by travelers. Some like her would be making the flight to Atlanta, but never would any of them usually stop through.

"What the hell am I doing?" she wondered, as she put her heavy bags down at the gate and looked around. Here was her first taste of Atlanta for the first time. She saw a housewife, appearing busy with her work but having had the time to put on her earrings and makeup before getting on the plane. There was also a couple with their two kids, who looked way more eager to be playing on their iPhones then at the possibility of the return home that was before them. Finally, you saw a military soldier with his bag. He sat alone, unappreciated, wondering what the bell would be waiting for him when he got home.

...

When they arrived, everyone was calling and texting on their cellphones. It took about 15 minutes for them to even get out of their gate, then she had to follow the signs to baggage claim. She wakes down the stairs to the train, which was nearly full. Thought that she should walk, but then saw the airport went on for way too far and got on the train instead. Then when she got off the train and arrived up the very narrow escalator, she saw her Aunt waiting for her.

She had also dyed her hair blonde.

"Aaaah! It's my Aqualu!" she squealed running up to hug her.

Aqua grinned from ear to ear.

"Hello Summer."

"It's so good to see you! Is that backpack heavy? Let me carry that for you." she said, taking the backpack on her back. "Do you have any luggage at the baggage claim?"

After we got the luggage, Summer and I got in her car to drive.

"Man. The traffic here is terrible."

"You've seen nothing yet. The traffic here is a death trap."

"In what way?"

"Too much stress. Atlantans spend their time either on their phone, with their coffee, at work, in traffic, or on the commute home. This makes everyone super angry, and so they make terrible drivers. It's because they don't have time to relax."

It was true. She saw the city rise up in front of her. Signs for rap artists and Coca Cola ads. State University sticking out in downtown. The traffic was so horrible that they were bumper to bumper coming up, and they had to deal with more than one driver that was high or had too many drinks. Moving up through midtown, they saw the Tech University building. Moved up 400 past stops like Dunwoody. Went through Alpharetta up through the country, where the fast food stops and houses began to become less and less jumbled and with more space in between.

They talked about the family. Aqua updated Ember about the lack of communication between Diana and her mother. Summer told Aqua about her boyfriend, her friends that she goes dining with and her problems with work.

They went down another highway, moving up the road until they saw the sign Athens, and took the turn at the other sign that said North University.

The buildings are old and of brick, looking like a university bursting out at the seems the same way notes would burst out of a student's book.
...

Aqua pushed open the door, carrying a bag of clothes behind her. She was so concentrated on the task at hand that she slammed the door without seeing the girl within the room, going back down to the car to grab more of her bags. Her aunt sat in the car texting on her phone. She saw her niece coming and smiled, giving her a nice hug and whispering in her ear. Then the two parted.

After walking up the steps again and opening her front door, Aqua's eyes popped as she saw the girl sitting in the bed in front of her, her long brown wavy hair, her bright outfit, and her lipstick.

Hi. I'm Ember" said the girl.

"Aqua."

"That's funny that we would be roomed together. Probably a joke by the administration. Aqua and Ember, fire and water."

"Probably" muttered Aqua, focusing back on her unpacking of hide her feelings of nervousness.

"Where are you from?"

"New York."

"I've always wanted to go there."

"It's not as exciting as you would think."

"I'm from Miami."

"I've always wanted a Cuban boyfriend."

"Girl, I can hit you up! Just say the word."

They laughed.

"Well, this is college huh? Kinda more lonely than I thought it would be."

"Nonsense!" said Ember. "We haven't even met the people in our dorm."

"I am kinda nervous."

"It'll be fine. I'll force you."

"You wouldn't."

"Why not? I'm not gonna have the guilt of my roommate all alone this year."

Aqua took her sheets out and began to start making her bed. When she was done, Ember came back in her room.

"How about we go out for a coffee? I heard there is a cool coffee place downtown."

"I'm okay" said Aqua, sitting down

"Suit yourself."

Aqua cuddled her pillow on her bed, closing her eyes as if to go to sleep. Yet, she did not fall asleep like she wanted. She heard the sound of laughter outside, and wishes she had gone out with her roommate. She vowed that night to be different, and make an effort to get to know her.