Chapter 13:Ember

When it was time to go home for Christmas, Ember was sitting in her dorm room thinking that she would be stuck there when she heard a loud honk outside of her bedroom window.

She quickly opened the blinds, to see Olivia sitting in a car waiting for her.

She screamed and waved her arms frantically in the air, as she ran down the stairs to go hug her in the parking lot. Olivia just laughed.

"Oh God" muttered Ember, staring at Olivia's pregnant stomach.

Olivia just smiled and laughed nervously.

"Are you mad about it?"

"Of course I am mad" huffed Ember, "But yore glowing! I can't hate you for that!"

They hugged again. Went upstairs to collect her things. Got in the car and drove off.

"So why did you pick me up Liv?"

"Don't get mad at me, but it was your mom that wanted me to pick you up. She thought that if you saw me instead of her, you would be able to get in the car and drive home."

"Oh" sighed Ember, looking out the window.

"Hey, say the word and I will drive you back up there."

"I was just wondering why she would want me home for the holidays. She usually takes me out to go see a movie and then goes out drinking with her friends."

"She got a boyfriend. Then decided to ring her sister and brother up, now they are bringing the whole family home for a Christmas eve dinner."

...

Jorge was not as she had pictured him. Half Cuban and half white, he had been a multinational hotel shareholder for years, traveling around the world checking accommodations.

Every family member came over that Ember remembered and did not remember so well. There were her Mexican cousins from Arizona on her 1st aunt's side, her uncle's suburban and half-white family from South Carolina, her 2nd uncle who had moved to Mexico and fell in love with a mistress there with her own 3 kids / two grandkids, and her aunt who had not gotten married at all but instead decided to travel the world.

That night, her uncles decided to take Jorge out to dinner to check him out. Her mom was left on the couch with her hot tea and watching telenovelas, before Ember came in and sat down with her.

"Mama. I was wondering if we would talk about papa" asked Ember.

"You know how I feel about it."

"Well, tell me anyway."

"Alright" said her mom, muting the sound on the television. "Well, I was a waitress on the Royal Tropics at the time."

"I didn't know you did that."

"What... you thought I would stay in the United States forever? No. Of  course not. I was young and beautiful. Felt like I could conquer the world. I had to leave. Get away from my family. He was also trying to get away. Something about strict parents, but it's weird cause he never showed me pictures. He and I went to all the islands. We had a passionate love affair. The next thing I heard was that he had to move back to New York for a job. Met a Chinese woman there working in Accounting. Had a daughter with her not too long after you were born. Your half-sister."

Turned back on her telenovela, much louder than before. Ember, stunned, left the room.