Chapter 24

My hand grips around the knob, shaking relentlessly as I begin to turn it. It is shiny with my sweat, droplets of condensation showing my nerves.

"...Kimba. Babe please. I'm so sorry. I need you. I need you..." She breaks off into sobs, and it's all I can take to not rip the door open and hold her in my arms, I have to be stronger than that. I have to show her that she didn't break me, that she can't break me. Everything turns silent, as I wait by the door, waiting for myself.

"... Ok. I understand. I understand. I love you. Remember that. I'll go. Just remember that Kimba. I love you. I'm sorry. I really do love you." I listen to her sob out as the noises on the other side of the door grow fainter. And I can't take it. I can't let her go just like that.

"Wait, Cheryl!" I gasp out as I swing the door open, quickly scanning the landing for her petite body. And then she appears into my view, almost like in the movies. There she is, stood atop the stairs, quivering in the same clothes as she left me in.

"Kimba!" Cheryl squeals out, "I mean... Hey Kimberley." She looks down at the ground, shuffling her feet awkwardly like the first day I met her.

"Hi Cheryl. You right?"

She switches her gaze to my eyes as I say this, and I can see them to be red and bloodshot. Her lips are blue, her cuts weeping. Then I see it, the side of her coat, smeared with blood.

"Jesus Cheryl! What is that?" I am unable to hold in the shriek that escapes as the I see drops of blood spotting the floor.

"I, ah..." She averts her eyes from mine, biting on her bottom lip nervously, "It, it hurts Kimba." It sure looks like it does.

"Kimba? I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" I ask, catching her stare in mine again.

"Everything. I didn't come back here cause I hurt meself. I was on me way back when it happened...I came back cause I lo-"

"Cheryl, don't worry ok?" I cut her off, "Can I? I mean..."

"Yeah. Please."

I walk timidly over to her, and outstretch my hand, gently touching where the blood is seeping through. She takes in a sharp intake of breath, screwing her eyes shut.

"It hurts Kimba."

"Yeah, come inside, I'll clean it up."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Cheryl, I'm sure." I turn around to walk back into the apartment when I feel her reach out and grab my wrist.

"Wait, Kimba!" I turn around quickly, and she almost shrinks away as I do so. But then I feel her arm wrap around my back as she pulls me in. I can't help but lose myself in her. Her scent. The feel of her hand gripping onto my back. I nuzzle my head in her hair, placing feather-light kisses on her shoulder. I push myself further into her, wishing her to hold me closer, and she doesn't pull away. For a second I let my guard slip, let her overtake my senses. But then I remember everything in an instant, and my body turns stiff. I pull away.

"Come on. We need to check this out. Are you going to tell me what happened?" I ask as I lead her inside.

"It wasn't Ashley. If that's what you're thinking."

A solemn silence fills the air as she starts to unbutton her coat, even though she is still shivering.

"Kimba, do I have to?"

"Yes Cheryl, otherwise I can't see."

She groans as she pulls her coat off, and I kneel to the ground infront of her, armed with cotton wool, bandage, and antiseptic. She lifts her shirt half-up, her arm holding it just below her bra-line.