Chapter 20

I feel her hand shaking in mine, palms becoming overly sweaty, almost melting our hands together. I imagine how much this moment reminds her of her ex-husband, his smile is almost murderous, cunning, sly, like he is running through everything he will do in his mind and laughing about it. He steps closer, almost rhythmically, and stares, his eyes flicking over Cheryl and I. I want to protect her, but the only protection I can offer her at this moment is my touch, the gentle squeezing of my hand. He inches forward again and places his hand under my chin, I don't pull away, I don't want him getting mad. He looks at Cheryl and I, and then speaks,

"You're staying with me."

"Cheryl Cole, hey? I have no clue why you are here, but Kimberley, you are staying with me. If you want to protect her."

It's a patronizing question, one I'm sure he already knows the answer to. He is very intuitive, Justin, he can tell when one human cares about another. In this moment, it may as well have been a neon sign flashing over our heads.

"How? Justin, you can't make me." I reply.

"I can too."

"How exactly would you do that?"

"Isn't it obvious?" He grins again.

"I wonder how the public would react to stories about, I don't know, the cut on her cheek, the bruise under her eye, the swelling on her wrists,"

He reaches out and grabs one of her wrists, and she quickly retreats,

"Ooh, defensive I see. How would YOU react Cheryl?"

"Don't talk to her like that!"

"Kimberley, baby, I can talk to her however I want to."

He giggles slightly as he sees Cheryl biting on her bottom lip.

"Nervous too I see. Do I scare you? Like whoever did," he touches her waist, revealing the angry burns on her hips, "...this to you?"

"Don't you dare!" I interject.

He outstretches his arm and pushes me away, leaving Cheryl standing there by herself, shivering and shaking. She looks so helpless. She is helpless.

"I will dare thank you Kimberley."

I suddenly feel a wave of anger rush over me looking at Cheryl, she stands there, shaking and sweating, almost waiting for him to touch her, and so I react. I lunge myself at him, separating him from Cheryl

"Get out! Don't touch her." He steps back in shock, but it doesn't take him long to retaliate. He slaps me once, and pushes me away.

"Please...don't hurt her!" Cheryl calls, but I can tell that she instantly regrets it.

Justin moves towards her again and strokes her cut with his thumb.

"What do you think of all this hmm? Cheryl Cole?"

She stays silent, not daring to even move her mouth. He stares at her, and I see his eyes waver for a moment, the look of desperation in her eyes having an effect on him. He is determined though, and shifts his gaze my way.

"Kimberley. I need you at that wedding, and I don't care what I have to do to get you there." He moves his hand slightly down, tracing his finger delicately along Cheryl's throat, and she croaks slightly, her breath hitching.

"Kimberley. Tell me you are coming."

I am frozen in my spot, I open my mouth but no words come out.

"Say it."

His light tracing turns into a grip on her throat, and she squeals.

"Kimberley, please! Justin, don't hurt us!" He looks at her once, only quickly, avoiding her eyes, her most powerful weapon.