Chapter 19

He just wants to talk. As if I believe that for a second. He wants to yell maybe, argue, scream, accuse, possibly hit some things, but he doesn't want to 'talk'.

I hear shuffling footsteps behind me, and then I feel her wrap her arms around my waist.

"What are you going to do Kimba?"

"I don't know. I think I'm going to let him in."

She swings around quickly and confronts me.

"What? No! You can't do that."

"Shh, keep your voice down. And why can't I do that?" I ask, as if it's a perfectly logical question.

"He'll-he'll hurt ya. I'm not letting that happen Kimba."

She has this glint in her eyes, defiance? Uncertainty? Both.

"Cheryl, we are just going to talk. You can stay in the room if you want."

"But what if, ehm, you need us?"

"You'll know."

"Kimba I-"

"Please," I cut her off, "this is my decision."

She bows her head, accepting defeat.

"Ok. Babe? If you need help, please..."

"I know Chez. Come 'ere."

I reply as I reclaim her in my arms, our bodies sinking together in a sort of fusion. I pull away and tap her lightly on the head.

"Now get out my hair." I joke, trying to make light of the situation, but she doesn't move an inch.

"Kimba, I know you're scared."

"I'm not."

"Babe..."

She stares at me, locking my gaze in hers, making it impossible for me to turn away. She lets a tiny little smile appear at the corner of her mouth, clearly reveling in the fact that she holds so much power over me.

"I'm not going to let him hurt you" She breathes out as her lips press lightly against mine. She begins to pull away, but I wrap her in, seeking the extra comfort of her warm lips.

"Kimberley? Princess?" Echoes through the room, the sound bellowing from behind the door.

"Mmm Kimba," Cheryl starts, slightly struggling for breath, "you need to, mmm, get that."

"I've changed my mind." I reply as I pull her further into me, my hands resting firmly on her waist.

"What are you like?! C'mon Kimba, you do need to talk to him."

I sigh as she breaks the kiss and turns to walk toward the door, but I don't make any effort to follow her.

"Kimba, now. Otherwise he'll leave and you'll have to have the discussion later."

"When did you get so bossy?"

"Oh you love us. Come on."

I begrudginly walk to the door, silently wishing the problem on the other side would just give up and go home.

"I thought you didn't want me to talk to him?"

"I don't. But I'd rather you do it when I'm here."

"Aww protective Chez."

"Shut it you. I'll be in the bedroom okay? I swear to god if he even tries to touch you-" She raises her voice.

"I know. You need to stay quiet Cheryl."