28.0: One Night's Rest PT 1

It took a bit, but shortly after the party paraded into town with the each-uisge's trophy, half the village of Ettinsburgh came out to cheer them.

The townsfolk gathered in the central square when word spread that the creature that had been plaguing them was finally slain. Their previous apprehension toward the party seemed to vanish, some even going as far as to offer a place to stay until Sorcha's party finished preparing their leave. Of course, everyone gladly accepted this, though Erik felt a bit down about it since he didn't do much to help the almost disastrous hunt.

Children played around with the livestock again, several loose chickens running amok, creating even more chaos amidst the already busy square. One of the birds bobbed in front of Erik's feet, clucking, totally oblivious to what was going on around it. Sometimes, Erik wished he could be like a bird, so he could fly away from all his troubles. Thinking twice though, he chose to take back that thought. People, wildlife, fairy beasts—they all ate birds, right? Besides, if he were to turn into a chicken, he wouldn't be able to fly all that much anyway. Chickens are for eating and laying eggs...and chasing around, apparently.

Hamish was busy getting the horses ready for departure, shouting commands at a disgruntled Alec who didn't seem to particularly like this type of work. "Move the trophy over to Lesie's horse then move her sword over to Erik's. I'm going to get the provisions they offered us ready for loading tomorrow."

"Seriously? You expect me to lift that thing?"

Erik heard a chuckle echo out from the stables. Unmistakably Hamish's. "The horse's head or the sword?"

"Either."

"You're doing both, lad."

Erik could empathize with Alec's distaste. What Lesie had done to the each-uisge was no easy feat, her desperate work resulting in a bloody, flawed trophy. Erik thought about lending a hand, but decided it would be better remain in his place until told otherwise. He sat on the steps of one of the home's porches, resting while he still could.

"You."

Looking up, Erik saw Alaric piercing him with his deep eyes. The fae tossed him a set of new clothes and a small, leather sheath—one for his dagger. In hand was a light brown tunic, undershirt, and some pants as well. Erik had been wearing the same ragged attire for sometime now. He smelled the sleeve of his shirt. Saint Fuck, he cursed to himself. It really did stink like piss, shit, and sweat, all at the same time.

"I arranged for you to stay with the horses tonight. I pray they are fitting company until we take our leave tomorrow."

"I'm to stay in the stables?"

"These folk do not have many places to rest. What beds they offer should be reserved for the heroes of today, not for dead weight such as yourself."

Erik shrugged, content with what he was given, even if Alaric was rather forward with his words.. "Fair enough." He narrowed his eyes. "Question."

"You only get one, unless you can fill my belly before I find something for it."

Relieved Alaric wasn't holding him to anything from the other times, Erik chose his words carefully, crossing his arms. "My father told me to seek out my mother in the otherworld."

"Hold your tongue." Alaric let out a labored sigh, holding up an open hand. "I'll pity you greatly if you waste your words again, so I'm going to tell you right now that I do not know where that place is. No fae knows where it is."

"All right," Erik said, letting his hands fall between his legs. "What do you think my mother might have to do with it, then?"

"Do you want a flat answer, or a speculation?"

"If a speculation is all you have to offer, then I guess I'm gonna have to take it, aren't I?"

"All any of our kind knows is that the otherworld may exist deep below the earth. As to what your mother has to do with it, I cannot begin to guess, but if she actually did manage to find a way there, she would have needed to prove more clever and resourceful than all the fae minds put together."

"At least that's something."

"She could be one of us, but I see nothing suggesting you're anything other than human."

"Could a human have found a way into the otherworld somehow?"

"You're forgetting you only get only one question per day. Wait twenty four hours, or find me something to eat."

Erik deadpanned.

"You might be pleased to know that I am in fact quite hungry at the moment."

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story!