Chapter six

~six~

I woke up feeling like crap. I couldn't sleep for awhile and when I did, I still felt tears on my cheeks. Remembering yesterday felt like getting shot in the heart. I sniffed and hugged myself, feeling there was no point at all in life. My brother finally said, the words I've been waiting for. I just couldn't believe it, he was always positive that I would go outside one day.

I knew that one day he would say it but I was praying that he wouldn't. I said I hated him but I can't hate him, he made me become the person I am today. The person who was with me since the day I was born and never left me. He taught me everything I know from ABCs to finding out what sex is and to never do it until after marriage. Maybe he didn't mean it? I shook my head. Of course he meant it! It's as clear as day that I would never leave this house.

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I looked at myself in the mirror and frowned. I looked so plain with my brown hair and hazel eyes, I look dull unlike my brother. He was handsome with his brown hair that he always kept perfect and his hazel eyes always sparkled with excitement and laughter. Even though we have the same features, my brother makes it look better. Always has, and always will.

I wiped my tears that were trying to come out of my eyes. I went downstairs and decided to give my brother the silent treatment, I know it's immature but I couldn't look at him without replaying the words he said. But when I got to the kitchen, he wasn't there. I saw a note on the fridge.

Ana, I'll be working late at the hospital today so don't wait up and I'm sorry I said those words, I didn't mean it; if I could take back those words I would, please forgive me, Love Nate.

I just stared at the note with a blank expression and put it back on the fridge. I grabbed a bowl and grabbed the cereal from the cabinet and the milk from the fridge. I grabbed the spoon and ate my cereal in peace. I'm home alone, again. I mean I'm always home alone but sometimes Nate doesn't come home until tomorrow at the hospital. After I finished my bowl of cereal, I put it in the sink. I went to the couch and laid down and closed my eyes. Maybe I should talk to Nate about what he said, I can't give him the silent treatment all the time. Maybe I should tell him tomorrow. Tomorrow? That's it, I can sneak out. Why haven't I ever thought about this?

I turned on the TV putting the news channel because I need some information about the outer world obviously. The news reported that the fair is on today which is great, that means I get to see the fireworks! But what if a guard catches me? what if they ask for my wrist? Is this a good idea?

I shouldn't do this, I can get in so much trouble, I can get killed. Okay relax Ana, just don't draw attention to your self then no guard will ask for my wrist. Wait where is the fair even going to be at? As I looked at the TV I got lucky they announced the fair is going to be at Broad Street which is not that far from here because I was bored one day and I looked up all the street names that we have here in North Carolina.

The fair is going to start tonight which is great because I needed to get things ready. I quickly took a shower and put on clothes. I wore a white sweater with black leggings and brown boots and brown beanie. I grabbed a satchel and I put a few water bottles and a few snacks because obviously I didn't have any money to buy food. It was still day time, so I did all the normal activities that I do. Once night came, I grabbed blankets and opened the window, I made a rope out of the thick blankets and threw it out the window.

I looked out the window and looked down. Freshly cut grass filled with beautiful flowers await me and then I frowned at the fence Nate made. I would have to climb over that to get to the outside world. My eyes filled with determination, I will climb over that fence and go outside.

I opened my window a little higher, I put my bag over my waist and stepped out. I slipped down the rope cautiously and then I stopped, I looked down at the ground in fear. Would all of this be really worth it to disobey orders? I shut my eyes and reopened them. Of course it will, it's not just for the fireworks, it's for my freedom.