Chapter twenty two

My eyes fluttered open and I realized I was in a cell. A cold cell as I felt myself shivering. My head was on something, no someone. I looked up slightly and realized Nate was leaning against the wall, his eyes closed and stroking my hair.

"Nate," I whispered and his eyes flew open. He looked down at me and rubbed my back. His eyes held no emotion.

"How long have you been going outside? You've probably been out a few times since Griffin was about to kiss you," He said nodding his head upward. I looked across from where Nate was nodding to. Jasper was across from us, sleeping against the wall. I looked back up at Nate and I started crying.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I did! I did go outside a few times, I went out when you told me about the fireworks at the fair, then I went to see the shooting stars and then I bought the medicine for you. I went to see the fireworks for the Fourth of July, but then I realized how bad it was for me to go outside. I decided to stop and tell Jasper I couldn't see him anymore for the last time," I sobbed out. Nate rubbed my back. I cried and I cried, I couldn't stop. I heard a shuffle and I realized Jasper woke up because he was rubbing my back also.

I finally stopped crying and looked at Jasper. He gave me a small smile but I didn't return it. I looked back at Nate.

"So when you found the medicine, you actually bought it," He said and I nodded. I looked back at him, fear in my eyes.

"Are they going to kill me?," I trembled. Nate's eyes flashed with a dangerous glint.

"I'm not gonna allow them to kill you, I promise," He said but I didn't say anything. I sat up from his lap and looked at them, Jasper spoke first.

"So, he's your brother, is that why you shut everyone out Nate? Because of her?," He said quietly. I nodded my head and Nate nodded his head also. Jasper turned back to me and spoke. "Is that why you were so secretive and shy about everything? Because you were afraid to get caught? You could have told me, Tasie."

"I didn't think you would have accepted me, no one in our family did beside my mother who died because of childbirth, Nate and my Aunt Melissa who also died when I was baby; I always thought people hated second born children. I didn't know there were people who were willing to fight for me, I thought everyone was too afraid to fight back," I said hugging myself. Jasper put his hands on my shoulders and looked at me.

"I'm not that kind of person Tasie, you should have know that by now," He said hugging me and tears formed into my eyes.

"I thought you were going to hate me," I said tears streaming down my face. He rubbed my back and tried to soothe me.

"I could never hate you, the only thing I hated was when you lied to me. I hate liars but you had a good reason to lie, so I'll let it slide, Tasie," He said grinning at me when we pulled apart. Nate gave him a strange look.

"You call her Tasie ," He said putting emphasis on the name Tasie. Jasper raised his eyebrow at him.

"It's better than calling her Ana, that's so unoriginal, whenever girls have the name Anastasia. Everybody always calls them Ana, like can't they be original for once?,"!Jasper said as he rolled his eyes. Nate crossed his arms and glared at him.

"I happen to like calling her Ana," He said and Jasper groaned.

"Of course you do! Everyone does!," He said and Nate was about to reply when I cut him off.

"Are we seriously having a discussion about my name!? When my life is on the line here!," I yelled. They stopped bickering and apologized. It stayed silent for a bit but then Nate broke it off.

"And why the hell did you think I was dating her!? That's disgusting! She's my sister and a minor!," Nate said crossing his arms and glaring at Jasper. Jasper threw his hands up and spoke.

"And how was I suppose to know that she was your sister! I mean you practically get every girl at your feet! Even minors!," Jasper said and I grinned at Nate who face was burning red.

"You do!," I asked excitedly. Nate looked down at the ground, embarrassed.

"I may get a few admirers," He muttered and I laughed. This is what I wanted, a life filled with happiness but my life is not about happiness. We stayed quiet for a few moments but then we heard a strange noise. It sounded like someone yelling.

"I want to see him! Why the hell is my son in a cell! Let him out!," Someone demanded. Jasper rose up and ran to the metal bars.

"Mom! Dad!," He yelled. I suddenly saw a woman with black hair just like Jasper's but with brown eyes. I saw a man who looked exactly like Jasper with his piercing blue eyes and black hair. Jasper's mom reached out and stroked his hair.

"This has to be sort of mistake! They called us and told us you were in here for a crime! We came as fast as we could and demanded to let you but they wouldn't allow us! Please tell us what you did! This isn't like you!," His mom cried out. He looked back at me and they couldn't see me because I was in the dark. He turned back to his parents and spoke.

"There is a reason why I'm here, do you guys know Nathaniel Light?," He asked and they nodded.

"The one whose parents died, right? And shutting everyone out of his life because of that?," His dad asked. Nate clenched his jaw and I patted my hand against his. Jasper nodded his head.

"Before they died, they had a...second child," Jasper said and his parents gasped. Jasper indicated for me to step forward so I got up and I slowly walked towards them. "Mom, Dad, this is Anastasia Light, Nate's little sister."

I smiled at them softly. I thought they were going to be caring like Jasper. Sympathize that it was horrible that I hid from the world while everyone else had a life. But they didn't. They had a horrified look on their faces. My smile faltered.

"You associated with our son! You made him a criminal! I want our son out of here!," Jasper's father yelled. I stared at them in shock. I heard Nate growl in the back of the cell but I ignored him. I covered my mouth and started crying. I backed away from Jasper and his parents and felt Nate grab me from behind and hugged me. We sat down on the floor and I put my arm around him.

Jasper started to walk towards me when Nate yelled at him.

"Stay away from us!," He yelled. Jasper looked startled and he looked at me.

"Tasie, I didn't know my parents were going to act like this! I thought they were going to be accepting you like how I did! Please, let me stay here with you so we can sort this out," He pleaded. I shook my head and Nate placed his hand against my head and kissed my head.

"If your parents can't accept me, then we can't be together," I said. Jasper's eyes widen at my words. I know it was stupid of me for saying that, Jasper was still willing to be with me even if his parents didn't agree but having a family who loves you is better than being with someone can't be accepted in the world.

"Now that that's finally out of the way, I want our son out of here," His mom said and the police officer shook his head.

"Ma'am we can't do that yet," He said and his mother looked at him in confusion and anger.

"And why not?," She demanded. I heard a cross mother is not a good mother, at least that's what Nate told me. She was terrifying right now. But the officer wasn't fazed as if he faced them everyday.

"Because he needs to be in questioning since he associated with her," He said and Jasper's father spoke.

"And when will that be?," He demanded. The officer looked at Jasper's parents and then back at us.

"Today, we will be having a trail because the girl is under eighteen, we can't kill her because they are debating whether or not to kill a minor," He said. A shudder ran through my spine.

They were debating to kill me.