Chapter twenty eight

I impatiently waited for what they were going to do to me. I drummed my fingers on my knees. I was sitting on the wooden bench while looking around the room to distract me. There wasn't anything in here really, just this bench that I was sitting on. After awhile, I stood and began to pace.

What if they decided to kill me? Wouldn't it be good? So Nate could be free from me. But he also said that he wouldn't allow them to kill me if it came to that, that he will kill them himself if he had to. Sweat formed on the side of my face as I realized he would actually do it, he may not look like it but Nate is pretty strong. He knows how to fight. But what if they shoot him for trying to help me escape from them? I can't let that happen!

I played with my locket and ran a hand through my hair. If they decide to kill me, I would have to persuade Nate into letting them kill me. It would be the right thing to do, Nate has done so much for me, I can't let him die for me either. I stopped pacing and went back to the bench. I laid my head back against the wooden wall and closed my eyes. I suddenly remembered something when I was little.

"Nate! Nate! Look, what I made!," I said as I ran downstairs to the livingroom. He saw me running and got up from the couch he was laying on. I had to look way up at him because he looked like the Eiffel Tower in my small five year old body. It was around spring, the year was 2055, and I made Nate a drawing. He crouched down at my eye level and smiled.

"What did you make, little mouse?," He said. I pouted at him and he laughed. I placed my paper on the floor and pulled his cheeks.

"Just because I'm smaller than you doesn't make me a mouse!," I exclaimed. He pulled my hands away and rubbed his cheeks, he smiled at me and chuckled. I immediately felt bad, I placed my hands on his cheeks and caressed them.

"I'm sorry, did I hurt you?," I say as I placed my head beside his neck. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up. He patted my back and spoke.

"I'm fine, little mouse. See?," He pulled his head from me and gave me a giant grin. I giggled at his face and he gave me a Rasberry kiss on my cheek. I squealed when he did that. I wiggled my legs for him to put me down. He obeyed and set me down. I picked up my drawing and showed it to him. I pointed at me and him.

"Look! It's me and you playing outside at the park!," I grinned when I looked down at the picture. But when I looked up Nate had a sad look on his face. I didn't like that look. "What's the matter? Don't you like it?"

Realization came to his eyes and he shook his head and smiled at me. But it didn't reach his eyes like it always did but I didn't say anything. He grabbed my paper and smiled at it.

"Of course I like it! Who wouldn't?! We got a real artist in this house!," He exclaimed. I noticed that his hand was shaking when he held my paper. I placed my hand on top of his.

"Nate, you'll mess up my paper," I said. He glanced down at him and smoothed it down.

"Ah, I'm sorry!," He said but I just smiled up at him.

"It's okay," I said. He smiled at me and picked me up. We headed towards the kitchen.

"Do you know where this should go?," He asked. I shook my head and he laughed. "On the fridge! Don't you know we put our artwork in the fridge!."

"No, I didn't know that," I pouted. If I had known earlier I would have put it all over the place.

"Mom and D-," He stopped himself and bite his lip. I just looked at him curiously. What was he going to say? He just smiled at me.