Chapter eleven

I couldn't believe this was happening. I looked up at the sky excitedly. Then I saw it.

The first shooting star. And then another. And another. I gasped at them. They were so beautiful, I looked down at my sketchbook and started drawing. I drew the full moon and the shooting star and the trees that surrounded it and the stars.

People say if you see a shooting star, and you wish upon the star, it will come true. So I did that, I closed my eyes and wished upon the star. The only wish I wanted.

To be free. To be free and accepted as a second child. To not be an illegal one. To let Nate be free from me. To not be my keeper anymore. He wouldn't have to take care of me anymore.

I opened my eyes and smiled. I hope my wish comes true. I felt someone was staring at me and I turned my head. Jasper was smiling at me. I cocked my head to the side and looked at him in confusion.

"What?," I asked him, thinking I had something on my face. He blinked and looked startled. His cheeks turned pink and he cleared his throat.

"N-Nothing, you are a very good artist," He said looking down at my drawing. I look at it and smiled.

"Thank you," I say and he got up and held out his hand. I looked at it and took it slowly. I felt electricity run through my hand when I touched it. He pulled my hand and I got up from the tree I was sitting by.

"So uh, what are you going to do now?," He asked. I froze. I didn't know how to answer him. I could just say I'm going home but I don't want to go home. I don't want to go back to that hellhole. He was waiting for my answer and I was still holding his hand. I immediately took off my hand and placed it against my side.

"U-Um I didn't think that far ahead,"
I said sheepishly. I twirled my brown hair shyly. He smiled at me.

"Well my friends and I are going to have a picnic here, wanna join?" he asked. I chewed on my bottom lip. Should I go? But what if Nate comes home early or what if he calls? I can't risk that. But this once in a lifetime opportunity for me to be a teenager. I'll just eat and chat quickly and walk home. I looked at Jasper and nodded.

"I would love to," I say and he grinned. He grabbed my wrist and I blushed.

"Great, it's this way," He said and we ran down the hill. I stumbled along and I looked at him. His black hair was kinda spiky and all over the place. His blue eyes were sparkly and alive. His face was flush from the running that we were doing. He's so amazing. He reminded me of Peter Pan. How they are both so happy all the time.

We finally made it to a nice quiet area down the hill where his friends were. I remembered the guy with shaggy brown hair and lip piercings and the pretty girl whom I thought was his girlfriend. Jack Heart and Bianca Storm, I remembered.

"Hey guys," Jasper greeted. They looked up and smiled. Jasper gestured toward me.

"This is Anastasia," He says as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I blushed when he did this. Jack spoke first.

"Hey, I remember you, you're the shy one," He says as he smiled. I smiled shyly and waved. Bianca stood up and smiled.

"I love your sweater," She gushed and she gave me a hug. I stiffened around her, not use to hugging anyone but my brother. I slowly wrapped my arms around and I hugged her awkwardly. She let go of the hug, not noticing that I hugged her weird and smiled.

"Welcome to our group," She announced. She grabbed my wrist and sat me down next to her. I smiled at her shyly.

"So what school do you go to?," She asked and I froze. I don't know why but it was easy for me to lie to Jasper but now I couldn't form words but then Jasper saved me.